LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College volleyball hit the 20-win mark for the seventh-straight year as it swept Rollins, 3-0, in Sunshine State Conference action on Friday night at Jenkins Field House. The Moccasins (20-10, 12-7 SSC) dominated the Tars (4-25, 1-18) with a stifling defensive performance that saw Florida Southern hold Rollins to a hitting percentage of just .021.
Nicole Mattson led all player with 11 kills, while Rachael Martin had nine and Whitney Drost and Buse Ene added seven each. The Mocs wrap up the regular season on Saturday with a 4 p.m. contest against No. 9 Tampa as Florida Southern honors its five seniors before the match.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern set the tone early by jumping out to a 5-0 lead in the first set. After Rollins battled back to get within one (6-5), the Moccasins ripped off a 6-1 run that pushed the advantage to six (12-6). Southern saw its lead swell to as many as 10 points (21-11), but the Tars scored five in a row to slice their deficit in half. Despite the late rally by Rollins, Florida Southern was able to hang on for a 25-18 first-set win.
- The second set started much the same way as the first, with the Mocs racing out to a big lead (9-2) in the early stages. Rollins again fought back to pull within a pair (11-9), but a 6-1 run late in the set helped Florida Southern turn a 15-12 edge into a 20-13 lead en route to a 25-15 victory and a 2-0 match lead.
- Southern absolutely dominated the third and final set as it jumped on top 9-1 and rolled to a match-clinching 25-10 victory. The Moccasins never saw their lead dip below six points and did not allow the Tars to hit double digits until it was 20-10. Ene capped off the win with five-straight points at the service line.
- Florida Southern hit .275 on the attack and more than double Rollins in kills (40-19). Mattson hit .308 on the attack and tallied 12 digs, while Gabby Fresh (15) and Ene (11) also tallied double-digit dig totals.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 91-8 all-time against Rollins, including a 46-4 mark at home. The Mocs have defeated the Tars in 10-straight meetings and have won 13-straight home contests against Rollins.
- Mattson's career kills total now stands at 1,623, bringing her striking distance of former Moccasin all-American and head coach Jill Stephens is for third in school history. Stephens finished her career with 1,691. Mattson's 12 digs on Friday give her 1,283 to move her into ninth in school history in career digs.
- Bethany Besancenez pushed her career assist total to 5,166 in her chase to overtake Jordan McAfee for first place in that category. McAfee had 5,729 in her career. With her eight digs on Friday, Besancenez (1,348) moved into seventh place in the team record book
- Florida Southern will close out the regular season against No. 9 Tampa on Saturday at 4 p.m. in the final home match for its five seniors. The Moccasins are projected to advance to the NCAA Tournament as they are currently ranked fourth in the South Region. The NCAA Tournament selection show is slated for 10 p.m. on Sunday evening.