MACON, GA - Carolyn Cureton and Minnie Kim advanced to the finals of their respective consolation brackets of the Mercer Gridiron Classic here Saturday at the Leroy Peddy Tennis Center. In addition, the doubles squad of Magda Stepnik and Lorena Rionda will also play for a consolation championship while Stepnik and Lola Asis will compete in the extra consolation draw semifinals. All action will take place on Sunday.
Cureton easily moved on in her first match in the Flight C consolation bracket when her opponent, Ellie Baker of Kennesaw State had to withdraw due to injury. Cureton then battled to a 6-2 , 3-6, 1-0(4) win over Middle Georgia State's Jacqueline Heer (Middle Georgia State) and now play in Sunday's final.
Kim won her only match of the day, beating Valeria Zarama of USC-Upstate, 6-0, 6-2. In the extra consolation draw, Stepnik topped Hannah Daniel of Georgia Southern, 6-2, 6-2, while Asis downed Jacksonville's Shauna Casey, 6-3, 7-6(8).
In Flight A of the doubles consolation bracket, Stepnik and Rionda picked up a pair of wins, defeating Charleston Southern's Liz Williams and Michelle Schmitz, 6-2, and then downed Middle Georgia State's Luciana Pereya and Lara Persiani, 6-1.
RESULTS FROM SATURDAY, OCT. 6
SINGLES - FLIGHT A
- Harriet Hamilton (Jacksonville) def. Lorena Rionda (FSC), 6-4, 6-0
- Katie Sidor (Mercer) def. Minnie Kim (FSC), 6-4, 6-2
SINGLES - FLIGHT B
- Yunuen Elizarraras (East Tennessee) def. Natalija Popovic (FSC), 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
- Alara Hollyfield (Mercer) def. Magda Stepnik (FSC), 6-2, 6-1
SINGLES - FLIGHT B (CONSOLATION)
- Franziska Nobi (Middle Georgia State) def. Avery Hunter (FSC), 6-3, 6-2
SINGLES - FLIGHT B (CONSOLATION 2)
- Minnie Kim (FSC) def. Valeria Zarama (USC-Upstate), 6-0, 6-2
SINGLES - FLIGHT C
- Esther Guemes (East Tennessee) def. Gabby Hesse (FSC), 6-1, 7-5
SINGLES - FLIGHT C (CONSOLATION)
- Carolyn Cureton (FSC) def. Ellie Baker (Kennesaw State), w/o (inj.)
- Carolyn Cureton (FSC) def. Jacqueline Heer (Middle Georgia State), 6-2, 3-6, 1-0(4)
SINGLES (EXTRA CONSOLATION DRAW
- Madalina Man (Charleston Southern) def. Selin Devrimci (FSC), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0(7)
- Magda Stepnik (FSC) def. Hannah Daniel (Georgia Southern), 6-2, 6-2
- Lola Asis (FSC) def. Shauna Casey (Jacksonville), 6-3, 7-6(8)
DOUBLES - FLIGHT A (CONSOLATION)
- Magda Stepnik/Lorena Rionda (FSC) def. Liz Williams/Michelle Schmitz (Charleston Southern), 6-2
- Magda Stepnik/Lorena Rionda (FSC) def. Luciana Pereya/Lara Persiani (Middle Georgia State), 6-1