LAKELAND, Fla. – Florida Southern College women's soccer closed out the 2019 season with a dominating 4-0 victory at the University of Tampa on Wednesday night. Sophomore Cali Larson knocked home a pair of goals for the Mocs (5-8-2, 2-6-2 SSC). Freshman Jenny Staten held the Spartans (5-8-1, 5-4-1 SSC) scoreless for 90 minutes for her fifth clean sheet of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Madison Hald fired off the games' first shot in the eight-minute as she sent a ball right at Megan Bromwell, the Tampa goalie. In the ninth minute, freshman Courtney Chomko sent a ball to Cali Larson who fired home the eventual game-winning goal. Senior Caitlin Quaempts would put a shot on goal, only to be denied by Bromwell in the 13th minute.
- Tampa's first shot on the night would come off the foot of Elena Barr who sent a ball high above the net. Hald took a ball and nearly gave the Mocs a 2-0 advantage as her shot was blocked by the Tampa defense. Hailey Surrency and Lisa Caprara would each record a shot off target in the final five minutes of the first half. Florida Southern took a 1-0 lead into the break.
- Staten recorded her first save of the night early in the second half. Alexa Moberley recorded an unassisted goal in the 51st minute to put the visitors up 2-0. Tampa attempted to get on the board quickly as the Spartans fired off a shot just two seconds after the Mocs goal but was turned away by Staten.
- Larson did something no Moc had previously done in 2019 and recorded the teams' third goal of the game to give the visitors a 3-0 advantage in the 70th minute. In the 74th minute, Staten made her final save of the night off a shot by Tampa's Caprara. Juliana Rossini recorded the games final shot of the night as she took a ball from Moberley to give the Mocs a season-high four goals on the night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
● Staten solidified her name in the Mocs record book as she recorded her sixth clean sheet in her freshman year. With six shutouts she tied the program record for shutouts by a freshman. She is second all-time with a 1.02 goals against average. Staten is now just the fifth Florida Southern goalie to play every minute during their respective seasons.
● Chomko's assist in the first half would be just the second assist on the season for the Mocs and her first collegiate point.
● Florida Southern was outshot by Tampa, 13-11 and both teams totaled three corners each.
● The Moccasins are now 7-20-2 all-time against the Spartans, including a 4-9-1 mark in Tampa.