WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Florida Southern College women's soccer opened the Sunshine State Conference portion of its schedule with a 1-0 loss at Palm Beach Atlantic on Saturday evening. The Mocs (3-3, 0-1 SSC) dominated the corners as they had 11 more than the Sailfish (4-1, 1-0).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sailfish had the game's first scoring chance as Jenny Staten caught a ball off the foot of Ashley Swanson to keep the game scoreless in the 9th minute. Kailin Wiley had Mocs first shot on net as she put one at the bottom right of the goal as Madison Chiola made the save. 95 seconds later, Swanson would record another shot for the Sailfish, this time off target. In the 16th minute, Karina Williams put a deflected ball by the Mocs defense past Staten to give PBA a 1-0 lead.
- Florida Southern quickly attempted to even the score as senior Kaitlyn Svopa took a shot at the top of the net that Chiola knocked off target. The Mocs would close out the first half with two of five shots on target. For the first time this season Florida Southern would enter the halftime down as PBA held a 1-0 lead.
- The Mocs dominated possession for most of the second half as Caitlin Quaempts put the first shot of the second half at the feet of the Chiola. As the Mocs advanced the ball across the field, Hald collected the ball an snuck it though the defense to Wiley who put a shot on goal but Chiola was there to make the arms stretched high save in the 64th minute.
- The Mocs defense held the Sailfish without a shot in the second half until the 79th minute as Williams recorded a shot out left of the net. Kylee Rullo had a great chance to add on an insurance goal for the Sailfish as she put a header wide right of the net. Just a minute later Rullo put another ball just over the net.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Staten made three saves and allowed a goal on the night.
- Florida Southern was outshot 12-11 but held PBA without a shot in the second half till the 79th minute.
- The Moccasins are now 6-9-2 all-time against PBA, including a 2-5-1 mark in West Palm Beach.
Florida Southern will host Rollins (Sept. 25) and Nova Southeastern (Sept. 28) to close out the first month of the season. October will start with a pair of road matches at Lynn (Oct. 5) and Tampa (Oct. 9).