CLEVELAND, Miss. - Florida Southern College women's soccer moved back into the win column as it picked up win number three on the season. For the second time in two games, Madison Hald opened the game's scoring with a goal in the 13' minute. This would eventually become the Mocs (3-1) only goal needed to beat the host Delta State (0-1-2). For the third time this season, Freshmen Jenny Staten turned in a clean sheet.
The Moccasins only recorded six shots on the afternoon as Staten made a save on 11 recorded by Delta State.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It didn't take long for the Mocs to get on the board as Hald fired off the first shot of the match and put it behind Amanda Hilliard for a 1-0 lead in the 13' minute. The Mocs would maintain possession most of the first half. Juliana Rossini would look to add on to the Mocs lead but was denied as her shot was blocked by the defense in the 24' minute.
- In the 27' minute, Cali Larson would record the just the third shot of the game, all by Florida Southern, as she provided the Mocs with their first multi-goal game of the season. Delta State would close out the first half with a 3-1 shot advantage over the final 12 minutes. Florida Southern would head to the halftime break with a 2-0 lead.
- Delta State would control the second half it recorded eight of its 11 shots on the afternoon. Staten would make her only save of the game in the 70' minute as stopped a shot by Delta State's Tasha Toms. Delta State would make a few last-chance attempts at getting on the board as Hannah James and Rylee McGee would put a shot each wide of the net.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Staten turned in her third clean sheet in four attempts.
- Florida Southern recorded six shots to 11 by the host Delta State. The home team dominated the corners as they took seven to the Mocs one.
Florida Southern will return to the Sunshine State as it heads to St. Augustine for its final non-conference of the regular season with a mid-week match against Flagler (Sept. 18). Sunshine State Conference play will begin when the Mocs head to Palm Beach Atlantic (Sept. 21).