LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern women's soccer closed out its season with a 4-0 loss at No. 9 Barry on Tuesday night. The Mocs (5-10-1, 3-7-0 SSC) put the pressure on the Bucs (14-0-1, 9-0-1) in the first half but an early first-half goal would be all Barry needed to secure an unbeaten season and claim the SSC regular season title. Christy Grimshaw scored the game-winning goal in the 14th minute.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mocs and Bucs traded corners in the first ten minutes of the match as Tori Routt made her first save in the 10th minute.
- Shortly after another save by Routt, Grimshaw put the eventual game-winning goal in the back of the net in the 14th minute for her 12th goal on the season.
- Florida Southern outshot Barry, 2-1 in the final 10 minutes of the first half as Cali Larson and Gaelyn Crowder both saw their shots blocked.
- After the 15 minute break, Grimshaw made a quick effort to add on to her goal total. The senior notched her 13th goal on the season in the 47th minute as she fired one past Routt to put the Bucs up 2-0.
- Caitlyn Lowery took the ball deep into the offensive zone for the Mocs and fired off back-to-back shots in the 54th minute.
- After four shots in the game failed to score Molly Sharpe's fifth shot on the night put the Bucs up 3-0 in the 63rd minute.
- Barry made a goalie swap in the 81st minute. As the Bucs took the ball down to the other end of the field, Alissa Bello put one over the head of Routt for the fourth and final goal on the evening.
- Looking to take sole possession of the team lead in goals, Anna Griessler fired off a shot that went high over the goal in the 90th minute.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Griessler and Alexa Moberley finished the season with the lead with three goals apiece.
- Barry finished the match with 13 shots, eight on goal. Florida Southern fired off 10 shots, three on goal. the two teams combined for nine corner kicks, none of which were converted into a goal.