LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern women's soccer honored its senior class prior to an overtime loss to Palm Beach Atlantic. The Mocs (5-9-1, 3-6-0 SSC) got on the board in the fifth minute to take a 1-0 lead over the Sailfish (7-7-1, 3-5-1). Midway through the overtime period Palm Beach Atlantic scored the game winner.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mocs took an early lead in the fifth minute as Caitlin Quaempts took a pass from senior Anna Griessler and put the ball past the Sailfish goalie.
- Over the next 15 minutes, the Mocs would put pressure on the Sailfish defense as they totaled four shots, none on goal. After a header shot by senior Gaelyn Crowder was wide right, the Sailfish took the ball down the field and tied the game up at 1-1. Kylee Rullo took a pass from Shannon Berg and chipped it past Tori Routt for the equalizer.
- Cali Larson had a prince chance to put the Mocs up with a shot right at the Sailfish goalie in the 30th minute.
- In the 38th minute, PBA took the lead on a header from Sophia Borris on a long cross from Maddie McCarty.
- Routt made three saves in the first 16 minutes of the second half to keep the Mocs deficit to just one.
- Quaempts added to her goal total as she slipped past the back line of the Sailfish to tie the match at 2-2 in the 63rd minute.
- The two teams totaled for ten shots in the final 25 minutes of regulation.
- Alexis Madrid looked to end the match as she fired a ball wide right of an open goal.
- In the 96th, Shannon Berg made sure the Sailfish would spoil another senior night in Lakeland as she took a pass across the box and in past a diving Routt.
- Routt finished with four saves on the night, while Madison Chiola made two stops. The Mocs fired off 15 shots to 11 for the Sailfish. Florida Southern had four corner kicks to two for Palm Beach Atlantic.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Prior to Saturday's, match Florida Southern honored its five seniors. Griessler, Crowder, Kylie Harris, Becca Watson, and Kendall McNab were all joined on the field by their families during a pregame ceremony.
- Griessler led the match with five shots, one on frame.
- Florida Southern will close out its season with a road match at Barry (Oct. 23).