GAFFNEY, S.C. - Florida Southern College women's lacrosse finished the regular season with a 15-12 win over No. 7 Limestone on Saturday, pushing its winning streak to 14 games.
The No. 4 Moccasins (17-2) trailed by as many as three goals in the first half, but outscored the Saints (14-3) 8-4 in the second half en route to the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Florida Southern fell behind early when Limestone scored with just over a minute gone in the first half, but answered back with goals from Meghan O'Brien and Cayla Shawfield to take a 2-1 lead with 26:05 to play in the opening half.
• Limestone would tie things up with a goal just five minutes later, but FSC would regain the lead when Shawfield scored on a free-position attempt with 18:26 to go. That's when the Saints would rip off a 4-0 run to take a 6-3 lead with just over 10 minutes remaining in the first half.
• The Moccasins were able to battle back and tie the game at 7-7 when Kendall Kerge scored from a free position with 2:17 on the clock, but Limestone regained the lead in the closing seconds of the first half to take an 8-7 lead into the locker room.
• Florida Southern stormed back to open the second half, scoring five unanswered goals to grab a 12-7 lead with 19:21 to play. Emily Santoli tied the game with 22:52 to play, and put the Mocs in front just 31 seconds later. Kerge would tack on two more during the scoring run, and Shannon Mazza capped it off with 19:21 to play.
• Although Florida Southern stayed in front the rest of the way, the Saints made it interesting by cutting the deficit to just two (14-12) with 4:12 on the clock, but Santoli answered with her fourth goal of the day to give Florida Southern some breathing room with 21 seconds to go.
• The Moccasins outshot the Saints 29-20, won 24-of-29 draw control, and completed 9-of-11 clear attempts. Limestone finished with a 19-16 edge in ground balls, while each team converted three free-position shots.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 3-2 all-time against Limestone, including 2-1 when facing the Saints on the road. The Mocs improved their winning streak to three-straight against Limestone, and 14-straight overall. FSC's current winning streak is the second-longest in school history.
• Santoli finished with a team-best four goals, while Kerge and Shawfield each had three. Meghan O'Brien and Shannon Mazza each scored twice, and Casey O'Brien also found the back of the net. Shannon Gilfedder tallied a game-high four assists.
• Taylor Gillis made six saves for the Mocs to pick up her eighth with of the season, and Dani Bursinger won 12 draw controls.
• The Moccasins ended the regular season 6-1 on the road, 10-1 at home, and 1-0 in neutral site games.
• Florida Southern will host the 2017 Sunshine State Conference Tournament on April 28 (semifinals) and April 30 (championship). The Moccasins will enter the tournament as the No. 1 seed, and will face Tampa in their tournament opener.