LAKELAND, FL - After more than decades of waiting, Florida Southern College women's basketball will once again host the NCAA Division II South Regional Tournament this weekend at Streamline Sale Arena at Jenkins Field House. The No. 17 Moccasins (28-3) are the top seed in the South Region and will face eighth-seeded Lane at 5:30 p.m. on Friday in the first round of the Regional.
It is the Mocs' 14th NCAA Tournament appearance and their fourth in a row. Florida Southern won the South Regional Tournament in 1995 and 2016 and hosted the tournament in 1994 and 1995. Complete South Regional coverage can be found by visiting the regional homepage HERE.
- Florida Southern is making its 14th appearance in an NCAA Tournament this weekend and has participated in the South Regional in each of the past four years.
- Southern won the South Regional in 1995 and 2016, finishing fifth in the nation in 1995. The Mocs have not hosted a South Regional Tournament since 1995 when they defeated Fort Valley State and Valdosta State. Florida Southern also hosted in 1994 and lost in the regional semifinal to West Georgia.
- The Moccasins are 10-13 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, including a 7-6 record in the opening round of regionals. Florida Southern lost to Valdosta State, 63-60, in the first round last year. Of the seven other teams in this year's regional, Tampa is the only team the Mocs have ever played in the NCAA Tournament and could face the Spartans in a semifinal matchup. FSC is 2-1 when facing Tampa in the NCAA South Regional, winning 69-59 in 2016 when the Mocs advanced to the Elite Eight.
- Florida Southern and Lane are meeting for the first time ever in Friday's opening round. The Dragons are the Cinderella story of the South Regional after stunning Benedict, Central State, and Kentucky State to win the SIAC Tournament and earn the conference's automatic bid.
- A win by the Moccasins on Friday would mean a matchup with either No. 4 Lee or No. 5 Tampa in Saturday's semifinal round. The Mocs went a combined 3-0 against the Flames (1-0) and Spartans (2-0) during the year.
- Florida Southern faced four of the eighth South Regional qualifiers this year and went a combined 9-0 against those opponents (3-0 vs. NSU, 3-0 vs. Eckerd, 2-0 vs. Tampa, 1-0 vs. Lee).