LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College women's basketball clinched its second-straight Sunshine State Conference regular-season title with an emphatic 85-60 win over Barry on Saturday evening at Streamline Sale Arena at Jenkins Field House. The No. 18 Moccasins (23-3, 16-2 SSC) will be the top seed in the SSC Tournament in two weeks and finished off the season sweep of the Buccaneers (9-17, 6-12).
Camille Giardina scored a game-high 21 points, while Julia Jenike (13), Anja Fuchs-Robetin (12), Mackenzie Steele (12), and Mercedez Claybrone (10) also scored in double figures. The Mocs will host a first-round SSC Tournament game at Jenkins Field House on March 6 at a time yet to be announced.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1st Quarter | After falling behind in the opening 30 seconds of the game, Giardina drilled a three to put the Moccasins up 3-2 at the 8:28 mark of the first quarter and Florida Southern led for the remainder of the contest. The bucket sparked a 13-0 run that put the Mocs up 13-2 with 3:26 to go in the opening quarter. Barry caught fire in the final three minutes to close the game to just four (17-13) with 1:02 on the clock, but Giardina hit another three with 44 seconds to go and the Moccasins led 20-13 after one quarter.
- 2nd Quarter | The Mocs scored the first nine points of the second quarter and led by as many as 23 points (45-22) in the closing moments of the first half and took a 45-27 lead into the locker room. Giardina scored 15 points in the first half as the Mocs hit 17-of-32 (53.1 percent) of their shots in the first 20 minutes.
- 3rd Quarter | Southern took a 25-point lead (57-32) when Fuchs-Robetin hit a pair of free throws at the 4:37 mark of the third quarter and led by 27 points (66-39) in the closing minute of the third. The Mocs led 66-44 after the third quarter.
- 4th Quarter | Florida Southern continued its dominance in the fourth quarter, leading by as many as 30 points (81-51) in the final three minutes of the game. The Moccasins had 10 different players score in the game.
- Fuchs-Robetin finished just shy of a double-double by grabbing nine rebounds and Elsa Landberg had a game-high five assists. The Moccasins shot 50.0 percent (32-of-64) and went 9-of-22 from long range. Florida Southern forced 24 turnovers and scored 36 points off turnovers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 51-17 all-time against Barry, including a 29-4 record when facing the Bucs at home.
- This year's SSC regular-season title is the 14th in school history and marks the sixth time that the Mocs have won the title in back-to-back years.
- Giardina pushed her career scoring total to 1,768 points. She needs 18 more to move into sixth in school history in career scoring. Fuchs-Robetin now has 1,509 points. She now ranks seventh in school history in scoring.
- Florida Southern heads to Saint Leo on Feb. 27 and wraps up the regular season at home against Rollins on March 2. The Mocs have locked up the top seed in the SSC Tournament and will host a first-round game on March 6 at a time to be announced.