LAKELAND, FL - It was a different day with yet again the same result as Florida Southern College women's basketball dominated Saint Leo, 68-34, in Sunshine State Conference action on Wednesday at Streamline Sale Arena at Jenkins Field House. The No. 12 Moccasins (17-1, 10-0 SSC) rolled to their 14th-straight win by dominating the Lions (7-11, 2-8) to remain perfect in conference play.
Florida Southern held Saint Leo to just 13 points in the first half and rolled to yet another win. Anja Fuchs-Robetin led all players with 21 points, while Camille Giardina had 20 and the Mocs limited the Lions to just 18.2 (4-of-22) percent from the floor in the opening half.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1st Quarter | Florida Southern looked as if it might be in trouble early after it fell behind 4-0 in the opening minute and a half, but Fuchs-Robetin hit a layup to give the Mocs their first points at the 7:27 mark and the floodgates opened. The Moccasins went on a 14-0 run over the remainder of the quarter, capped off by Marta Aranda's three-pointer with 1:20 on the clock, and led by 10 (14-4) after one period.
- 2nd Quarter | Saint Leo scored first in the second quarter to slice the deficit to single digits (14-6), but Southern responded with a quick 7-0 run to push its lead to 15 points (21-16). The Lions got no closer than 12 points the rest of the way and the Mocs led by 16 points (29-13) at the half. Fuchs-Robetin (10), Aranda (6), and Giardina (6) combined for 18 of Florida Southern's first-half points as the Moccasins went 12-of-26 (46.2 percent) from the floor.
- 3rd Quarter | The Mocs continued their stifling defensive effort in the second half as they limited the Lions to just 10 points in the third quarter and increased their lead to 28 points (51-23) by the end of the period. Saint Leo went through a stretch of nearly five minutes without a point in the third quarter. The Moccasins shot 56.3 (9-of-16) in the third quarter and held the Lions to just 28.6 percent (4-of-14) from the floor.
- 4th Quarter | With the outcome never in doubt, the Moccasins were able to empty their bench in the fourth quarter and provide plenty of playing time for the reserves. Florida Southern outscored the Lions 15-11 in the final frame en route to its 14th win in a row.
- Fuchs-Robetin finished with eight rebounds and three assists while shooting 9-of-12 from the floor. Giardina pulled down five boards as the Moccasins outrebounded the Lions 36-31 and outscored Saint Leo 40-12 in the paint.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 80-10 all-time against Saint Leo, including a 41-4 record when facing the Lions at home. The Mocs have defeated the Lions 11-straight times. The Moccasin's 14-game win streak is now tied for the fourth best in school history. The Mocs won 15 in a row a year ago, 16 straight games in 1992-93, and posted a school-record 26 consecutive victories during the 1994-95 campaign.
- The 34 points scored by Saint Leo were the lowest for any Florida Southern opponent since a 53-30 win over Lynn on Jan. 21, 2012. The Mocs have now won 21-straight home games dating back to last year.
- Giardina pushed her career scoring total to 1,596 and needs 190 more to move into sixth in school history in career scoring. Fuchs-Robetin now has 1,386 and moved into 10th place in school history in scoring.
- Florida Southern is off on Saturday and closes out the month at Tampa (Jan. 30). The Mocs will play four home games in February.