WEST PALM BEACH, FL – Three singles and a sacrifice fly by Donna Ryan gave Florida Southern a 1-0 lead in the second inning, and Brandi Jones turned in a masterful pitching performance, but Palm Beach Atlantic scored two runs in the bottom of the fourth inning to down the Moccasins 2-1 Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- There were only three combined hits through the first three innings and all three came from Florida Southern (13-17) in the top of the second. The first of those was a leadoff single by Zierra Flodman that eventually turned into a run. After consecutive one-out singles by Alex Mace and Makayla Deuberry loaded the bases, Ryan's fly ball to right drove in Flodman for a 1-0 Florida Southern lead.
- Palm Beach Atlantic (21-14) did not pick up its first hit until Loren Kilgore led off the bottom of the fourth with a looping single into short left center. Magnolia West then showed bunt, but with the Moccasin infielders on the move, she pulled the bat back, swung away, and punched a hit through the vacated right side of the infield, sending Kilgore to third. After West stole second, a single by Michaela Hynes plated the Kilgore with the tying run and West came home to score too on a throwing error, putting the Sailfish on top 2-1. Still with none out and a runner at second, Brandi Jones prevented further damage by getting an infield pop-up and two strikeouts to end the inning.
- Both teams put together scoring threats in the fifth inning but ended up leaving two runners apiece on base. The Moccasins got an infield single from Shannon Bell and a walk from Flodman but left them at first and third. The Sailfish got a pair of two-out singles from Kayla Knight and Kilgore but stranded those runners at first and second.
- The hit by Kilgore for PBA in the bottom of the fifth was the last for either team as Jones finished off a complete game by allowing only one earned run on five hits. She struck out seven and walked one while falling to 2-8.
- Nikki Brinegar earned the win for Palm Beach Atlantic and is now 6-5. The Moccasins forced a pitching change in the fifth inning, brining Jana Wagner into the game who retired all seven batters for her first save. Brinegar gave up one run on six hits in 4.2 innings, struck out four and walked two. Wagner struck out four of the seven batters she faced.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS OF GAME ONE:
- Jones has lost five games this year in which she's allowed two runs or less. She lowered her ERA to 1.62 after Friday night's game. She's been on the wrong end of three 2-1 losses, one 2-0 loss, and a 1-0 loss.
- Florida Southern has lost eight 1-run games this season.
- The Moccasins out-hit the Sailfish 6-5, with Deuberry picking up two hits for the Mocs and Kilgore going 2-for-2 with a walk for PBA.
UP NEXT: Florida Southern and Palm Beach Atlantic will meet again Saturday afternoon in a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m.