WINTER PARK, Fla. – Four Moccasins earned spots in singles flight finals on Saturday as Florida Southern College men's tennis competed at the Rollins Varner Memorial Invitational. Valentin Hertweck and Chase Martin will face off in the flight B final while Oscar Sohl will play in the flight C final and Pablo Salamanca in the flight D final. The Moccasins will finish competing at the Varner Memorial Invitational with the conclusion of singles and doubles flights on Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Singles flight A saw Erik Nordblom defeat Pierre-Oliver Lassalle of Eckerd in three combative sets (7-6 (4), 3-6, 10-8) before he fell in another close three-set thriller against Atakan Gezer of host Rollins (1-6, 6-2, 11-9). After falling in two 7-5 sets to Andre Brignacca of Rollins, Brandon Pham defeated Jorge Santamaria of Palm Beach Atlantic in a 6-1, 6-0 thrashing. Nordblom will play in the third-place match while Pham will play in the fifth-place match.
- Singles flight B will have an all-FSC final on Sunday as both Hertweck and Martin cruised on Saturday. Hertweck won two 6-2, 6-3 matches over Dennis Moses of Stetson and Casey Recci of Rollins to earn his spot while Martin defeated Pakrot Pater of Eckerd in a 6-4, 6-2 match and Josh Laka of Stetson to earn his spot.
- Sohl will play in the final of singles flight C against Freddy Danielson of Rollins after defeating Jose Velloso of Palm Beach Atlantic 6-1, 6-4 and Quinn McLeod of Rollins 6-3, 6-2. Miroslav Cvjetan and Brian Pham will play in the fifth-place match after Cvjetan lost 6-4, 2-6, 10-5 to McLeod but won 6-0, 6-2 over Velloso and Pham lost 6-0, 6-7 (3), 10-8 to Danielson but won 1-6, 6-3, 10-2 over Will Stone from Eckerd.
- Salamanca earned his spot in the singles flight C final after defeating Camp Priest of Rollins 6-2, 6-1 and Alex Webb of Eckerd 6-4, 6-2. Danny Thomas will play in the third-place match after he won two 6-2 sets over Michal Pecikowski of Palm Beach Atlantic but lost in two 6-4 sets to Luke Horan of Rollins.
- The Moccasins will finish competing at the Varner Memorial Invitational with the conclusion of singles and doubles flights tomorrow.