LAKELAND, FLA. – The Florida Southern College men's swimming team came from behind to defeat visiting Saint Leo on Saturday afternoon, 136.5-125.5. The meet was originally scheduled for Saturday, October 19, but was postponed due to rain.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Leo led by as many as 14 points through the first five events, until the Mocs cut the lead to just one point after the next two events: the 100-breaststroke and the 200-butterfly.
- In the 100-breast, FSC placed 2-3-4. Taking second was sophomore Bryce Johnson in 1:01.53, followed closely by junior Pedro Bernotti in 1:01.35, and sophomore Ethan Shaw.
- The 200-butterfly witnessed a podium sweep for Southern, as junior Miguel Bernotti won the race (1:51. 77), followed by sophomores Theo Peristeridis and Matt Agostinelli in second and third.
- With SLU leading 56.5-55.5, senior Talor Hamilton sprinted to a 21.21 in the 50-free to claim first place, and give the Mocs their first lead of the day.
- Two events later, SLU would regain the lead at 87.5-81.5.
- Event 11 was the 500-free, which witnessed freshman Luka Prostran win the event in 4:41.97. Earlier Prostran had taken second place in the 1000-free in 9:44.53. Sophomore Cole Smith took third in the 500- free in 9:52.98, followed by Agostinelli in fourth. By outscoring SLU 14-5 in the event, the Mocs regained the lead for good.
- Miguel Bernotti and sophomore JJ Saslo went 1-2 in the 100-fly to virtually clinch the meet for the Mocs.
- In the 200-IM, the Mocs claimed first place by junior Matias Lopez, third by Cole, and fourth by Pedro Bernotti to take an unsurmountable 20-point lead heading into the final relay
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Also winning on the day was junior Carlos Bernotti, who won the 200-free in 1:42.58, and the 100-free in 46.94.
- Lopez also won the 200-IM in 1:51.89
- Johnson placed second in the 100-breast in 1:01.05.
The Mocs travel to Tallahassee for a quad meet with Florida State, North Florida, and West Florida on Saturday, November 9.