CLEARWATER, FLA. – Brandon Dyck won the 100-backstroke for the third time this season, three other Moccasins had top-three finishes in three other events, and the 800-freestyle relay team placed second, helping Florida Southern remain third overall after day three of the Spartan Invitational.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Moccasins had two swimmers in the championship final of the 500-freestyle, with Luka Planinc placing third in 4:26.83, and Charles Gotsch coming in sixth in 4:36.16. Planinc easily eclipsed the NCAA "B" standard for the first time this season after he was short by less than one second coming into the meet. Gotsch's time in the finals was a little short of the NCAA "B" standard, but he had already hit that mark earlier in the day when he posted a 4:34.17 during prelims. Cole Smith reached the B final and gave the Mocs another point after posting his best time of the season during prelims as well. Indian River's Jarryd Baxter won the 500 in 4:20.72, with Saint Leo's Matija Rafaj coming in second with a time of 4:23.68.
- Dyck's win in the 100-backstroke came in 48.05 seconds, putting him 0.72 seconds ahead of Indian River's Conor Lynch, and 1.8 seconds ahead of third-place Luke Hene of Tampa. Dyck was also more than one second faster than the NCAA "B" standard which he hit for the first time this year after having previously done so in the 200-back. Matias Lopez came in fifth in 50.28 seconds, and the Mocs got additional points from Talor Hamilton in the B final.
- Florida Southern got yet another top-three finish in the 100-breaststroke, and it was the third of the meet for Matthew Holmes who placed third in 55.50 seconds. That was the Mocs' first NCAA "B" time in the 100-breast this season, and Dorian Bachlaj nearly gave them another by coming in fourth in 55.83 seconds. Bachlaj's best time of the season was just 0.27 seconds shy of the "B" standard. Bryce Johnson scored for the Mocs too in the B final by slicing almost three seconds off his best time.
- Miguel Bernotti's third-place finish in the 200-fly ensured the Moccasins would have a medalist in all four individual events Monday night. Bernotti had the best time during prelims, and the Mocs' best of the season with an NCAA "B" standard of 1:48.29 before putting together a 1:48.66 in the finals. He was 2.66 seconds behind the winner, Ruben Van Leeuwen of Indian River State and exactly one second behind runner-up Tiger Pilkington, also of IRSC. Calvin Giang finished third in the B final with a season-best 1:51.55.
- In the 800-freestyle relay, Holmes, Nico Campbell, Gotsch, and Planinc put together a time of 6:34.18 to hit an NCAA "B" standard, the Moccasins' first in a relay this season. Holmes' time of 1:37.41 on the leadoff leg was also a "B" time for the 200-free, and the Mocs got another such time from Lopez on the leadoff leg for the 800-freestyle relay B team. Florida Southern finished second to Tampa by 5.22 seconds and was 3.81 seconds ahead of Indian River State.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Dyck's winning time in the 100-back was good enough to reach the Division II top-10 this season based on scores coming into the weekend. It was his third win of the season in the 100-back, and his second in a multi-team meet after he did so at the Panther Invitational in November.
- Prior to taking third in the 100-breast, Holmes was second in the 200-IM on Saturday and third in the 400-IM on Sunday.
- The overall team standings remained unchanged with Indian River State leading with 778 points, Tampa second with 675½, and Florida Southern third with 492. Nova Southeastern is fourth with 393½ points, followed by Saint Leo with 369, and Catawba with 82.
The Spartan Invitational concludes with five events on Tuesday night at the Long Center. Prelims are Tuesday morning at 9:30, and the finals session begins at 5 p.m.