CLEARWATER, FL – Matthew Holmes and Matias Lopez finished first and second in the 200-IM as two of the four Moccasins who had NCAA provisional qualifying times, and the 400-medley relay team got another "B" time with a near win in that event to highlight the second day of the Spartan Invitational.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Planinc earned his second NCAA "B" time of the meet by placing fifth in the 500-freestyle in 4:30.42. Charles Gotsch and Jonathan Sawyer were also in point positions for the Moccasins with season-best times, and Gotsch three seconds off an NCAA provisional time too. The 500-freestyle was won by Franco Lupoli of Nova Southeastern in 4:24.10, a 1.74-second margin over Indian River's Ruben Van Leeuwen.
- The 200-IM was Florida Southern's best event of the night as the Moccasins put three swimmers into the finals. Holmes and Lopez finished right at the top in NCAA provisional qualifying times, Holmes in 1:48.40, and Lopez in 1:49.62. Luka Matacin was seventh for the Moccasins in a season-best 1:53.21.
- Nico Campbell gave Florida Southern another NCAA "B" time by placing sixth in the 50-freestyle with a time of 20.60 seconds. The Mocs received more points in that event from Talor Hamilton and Noah Franz in the consolation finals. The 50-free actually featured a tie for first between Saint Leo's Hunter Bains and Indian River's Guillaume Bolivard, with each swimmer completing the championship race in 20.24 seconds.
- The Moccasins nearly picked up their second win of the night in the 400-medley relay, but were edged out by Saint Leo by 0.24 seconds. Both schools had NCAA "B" times in that event, with the Lions posting a winning time of 3:15.52. Florida Southern's quartet of Brandon Dyck, Luis Jasso, Franz and Campbell had a mark of 3:15.76, which was more than three seconds ahead of third-place Indian River State.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Halfway through the meet Nova Southeastern still holds the lead in the team standings with 385 points, followed closely by Indian River State with 359. Saint Leo is third with 292 points, Florida Southern is fourth with 259, and host Tampa is fifth with 253.
Day three of the Spartan Invitational begins Sunday morning with prelims at 9:30. The finals session in six events begins at 6 p.m.