TALLAHASSEE, FL – Matthew Holmes won the 200-freestyle, Luis Jasso won the 200-breaststroke, and Jasso nearly got another win in the 100-breast to lead Florida Southern in its dual meet at Florida State on Saturday. The Seminoles won 176-84.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Holmes' win came in the second individual race of the meet as he turned in a time of 1:40.03 in the 200-free. It gave him a win by the slimmest of margins, just 0.02 seconds ahead of Florida State's Griffin Alaniz, with another Seminole, Julio Horrego 0.28 seconds behind him.
- Jasso picked up his third win of the season in the 200-breast, taking that event with a time of 2:04.73. That was 1.58 seconds ahead of Horrego. Earlier in the meet, Jasso was second to Kanoa Kaleoaloha in the 100-breast by 0.35 seconds, with Sean Kim coming in third just one second off the pace.
- The Moccasins had one other runner-up finish, as Matias Lopez was second in the 200-backstroke in 1:50.93. Brandon Dyck was third in the 1:54.58, and Florida State's Connor Kalisz won in 1:48.20.
- In the 100-backstroke, Dyck was third, Lopez was fourth, and Talor Hamilton was fifth, with Dyck swimming the race in 51.01 seconds, 1.73 seconds behind Kalisz.
- Florida Southern had two individual third-place showings in the distance events, with Luka Planinc taking that spot in the 1,000-freestyle in 9:49.86, and Holmes finishing third in the 500-free in 4:44.32. That race also saw Planinc in fifth.
- Florida Southern's best butterfly swimmers were Calvin Giang in the 200 where he was fourth in 2:02.71 behind a trio of Seminoles, and Nico Campbell in the 100 at 51.57 seconds, a race where Florida State had the top five.
- Noah Franz was the Moccasins' best sprinter, finishing fifth in the 50-free (21.51 seconds) and third in the 100-free (46.05 seconds). Hamilton and Dyck were right behind him in the 50, and Holmes and Campbell did the same for Florida Southern in the 100.
- Lopez took fifth in the 100-IM as the Mocs' best swimmer in the final individual race of the night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Florida Southern's 200-medley relay team of Dyck, Kim, Franz and Hamilton finished third in 1:33.75, and the 200-freestyle relay team of Holmes, Campbell, Luka Matacin and Hamilton posted a time of 1:24.13 in an event the Seminoles swam as an exhibition.
Florida Southern returns home for a dual meet next Friday (November 10) against Rollins at 5 p.m.