LAKELAND, FL – With Noah Franz, Luis Jasso, and Matias Lopez all winning twice, and four other Moccasins posting single wins, Florida Southern rolled to a 163-99 win over visiting Tampa in its first dual meet and home meet of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Florida Southern won the first five races of the night, starting with the 200-medley relay where Lopez, Sean Kim, Calvin Giang and Nico Campbell combined for a time of 1:35.10. That put them four-tenths of a second ahead of the Spartans.
- Luka Planinc followed with a win in the 1,000-freestyle by finishing just ahead of teammate Matthew Holmes. Planinc's winning margin was 2.78 seconds over Holmes, while Holmes was 2.82 seconds ahead of third-place Tommy Reminger of Tampa.
- Holmes would later top Planinc in the 500-freestyle by a mere 0.37 seconds, with Reminger again finishing third for Tampa, but more than eight seconds behind the pair of Moccasins.
- Franz picked up his first win of the night in the 200-freestyle, which was the third race of the meet and saw Florida Southern claim the first three positions. Franz was 0.13 seconds ahead of Campbell and exactly two seconds ahead of third-place Luka Matacin. He later won the 100-butterfly by three-tenths of a second over Tampa's Marc-Olivier Caron.
- The Moccasins also went 1-2-3 in the 100-backstroke behind Brandon Dyck, Lopez, and Talor Hamilton. Dyck won that race by 0.81 seconds over Lopez.
- Jasso picked up his two wins in the two breaststroke events, edging out another Florida Southern swimmer, Sean Kim in the 100. He then won the 200 in dominating fashion, finishing 6.77 seconds ahead of Tampa's Austin Simpson.
- After helping the Mocs' 200-medley relay team start the night with a win, Lopez won the 200-backstroke and 200-IM as an individual in the second half of the meet. In each of those races, a Moccasin swimmer was also second, with Dyck in that position in the 200-back, and Holmes there in the 200-IM.
- Also picking up a win for Florida Southern was another member of their 200-medley relay team, as Campbell captured the 100-freestyle. He had a winning margin of 1.08 seconds over Aaron James of Tampa after his narrow second-place finish in the 200 to Franz.
- Tampa's three wins came in the 200-butterfly, 50-freestyle and 200-freestyle relay. Giang was the Mocs' top performer in the 200-fly, placing third, while Hamilton was second in the 50-free by 0.11 seconds to Marc-Olivier Caron of Tampa.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jasso had the second multi-win meet of his career. His first was at the Tampa Spartan Invitational in December of 2015.
- Franz also had his second multi-win meet in two seasons with the Moccasins. He won the 100-free and 200-free last year against Florida Tech.
Florida Southern's next meet will be Saturday, November 4 in Tallahassee against Florida State.