DAVIE, FL - Matias Lopez and Luis Jasso posted individual wins in the 400 IM and 200 backstroke, respectively, as Florida Southern finished fifth of seven teams at the NSU Shark Invitational held here Friday and Saturday at the NSU Aquatic Complex. The Moccasins totaled 477 points while the University of Indianapolis won the invitational with 740 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the opening event of the day, the foursome of Noah Franz, Nico Campbell, Brandon Dyck and Talor Hamilton finished runner-up in the 200-yard freestyle relay at 1:23.80, just over 6/10 of a second behind the winning team from Indianapolis.
- In the 500-freestyle, Luka Planinc placed 17th with a time of 4:40.02 while Jonathan Sawyer placed 22nd of 37 swimmers with a time of 4:52.30.
- In the 200 individual medley, Matthew Holmes came in fifth with a 1:54.31, while Lopez was ninth at 1:56.58 and Luka Matacin was 19th at 1:59.85
- A trio of Moccasins placed 9th, 10th, and 11th in the 50 freestyle with Franz coming in 9th with a 21:49, Campbell taking 10th at 21:52, and Hamilton placing 11th at 21:56. Dyck came in 16th with a time of 21.86.
- In the 400 medley relay, the foursome of Lopez, Jasso, Franz, and Campbell took third place with a 3:25.53 while Dyck, Sean Kim, Matacin, and Holmes came in ninth with a 3:29.24 time.
- The 200 medley relay saw Moccasin teams finish back-to-back as Lopez, Jasso, Matacin, and Hamilton took sixth with a time of 1:34.90 while Dyck, Kim, Franz, and Campbell placed seventh at 1:35.54.
- Lopez won the 400 individual medley with a 4:05.68 while Holmes took fourth place at 4:11.90.
- Franz turned in a 51.39 to place sixth in the 100 butterfly, with Campbell coming in 12th at 52.75, Kim placing 14th at 52.77, and Calvin Giang taking 17th at 53.09.
- Franz would do one place better in his next race, coming in fifth with a time of 1:42.40 in the 200 freestyle while Campbell was ninth at 1:43.57.
- In the 100 breaststroke, Jasso finished as runner-up with a time of 56.56 and Kim took fifth at 58.60 while Holmes was 13th at 59.96.
- Dyck took third place in the 100 backstroke at 51.41 while Lopez came in 10th at 52.79, followed by Matacin (14th, 53.83) and Hamilton (17th, 54.21).
- In the 1000 freestyle, Planinc placed 15th at 10.06.25 followed by Charles Gotsch (18th, 10:10.31) and Sawyer (19th, 10:15.63).
- Lopez came in fifth in the 200 backstroke with a 1:53.59 time, while Dyck finished 10th at 1:57.19, followed by Giang (14th, 1:58.87)
- Franz grabbed second place in the 100 freestyle with a 46.17 time while Campbell took fifth at 46.63 followed by Dyck (14th, 47.75), Hamilton (16th, 47.87), and Matacin (21st, 48.47).
- Jasso picked up the Moccasins' second win of the day in the 200 backstroke with a time of 2:03.56, hitting the wall over three seconds ahead of the second place swimmer. Holmes took sixth in the race with a 2:10.07 time.
- Giang was FSC's top competitor in the 200 butterfly, coming in ninth with a 1:59.51 time while Sawyer took 20th at 2:05.12.
- In the final event of the day, the team of Franz, Campbell, Holmes, and Dyck finished in third place in the 400 freestyle at 3:04.78 while Matacin, Hamilton, Planinc, and Lopez took 10th place with a 3:12.69 time.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Indianapolis won the invitational with 740 points followed by Wingate (548.5 points), Carson-Newman (539.5), Nova Southeastern (497.5), Florida Southern (477), Indian River State (472), and Keiser (146.5).
- The Moccasins travel east on Oct. 20-21 to compete at Florida Tech in Melbourne in the Panther Invitational.