MELBOURNE, Fla. – Sophomore Mason Comer scored his first goal of the season, but it was not enough, as the Florida Southern College men's soccer team fell to Auburn-Montgomery on Sunday afternoon. The game was the second game of a doubleheader played at Florida Tech, where the host Panthers defeated Limestone College 1-0 earlier.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mocs (1-2-1) set out on the attack early, as James Meehan offered up the game's first shot just 42 seconds in.
- AUM (1-3-0) scored the game's first goal at the 7:24 mark of the first half.
- FSC had a good scoring attempt in the 23rd minute, which resulted in a corner kick. Christoph Gums fired off a shot which was blocked, leading directly to an AUM counter and their second goal of the game.
- FSC finally got on the board with about 15 minutes remaining in the game, as Edu Capote slid a pass to Comer, who deftly put the ball in the back of the net.
- The Mocs pounded the box in the game's waning minutes, starting in the 83rd minute. Meehan had a shot blocked, resulting in a Claus Lehland corner kick. Diaz had back-to-back headers on frame, followed by Gums and Meehan placing shots on goal. The AUM keeper made saves on each shot.
- Later, Lehland offered up another corner, then had a final strike sail high, as AUM held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Graduate keeper Philip Faderl made two saves on the day.
- Junior Alberto Diaz led the team with two shots on goal.
- Capote earned his first assist of the season.
- FSC offered six total shots on goal; AUM had four.
Florida Southern will return to the friendly confines of Moccasin Field to open the Sunshine State Conference portion of the schedule, hosting Palm Beach Atlantic on Saturday, Sept. 21, at 7:00 p.m.