SAINT LEO, FL - Florida Southern College men's lacrosse fell at Saint Leo on Wednesday night. The Mocs (7-7, 2-3 SSC) watched as the Lions (8-5, 2-3 SSC) slowly built a lead while limiting FSC to just six goals in the first half.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions went up 2-0 in the first five minutes of the game before the Mocs used a 3-1 run to tie the game at 3-3 in the first quarter. Nolan got the Mocs first goal past the Saint Leo goalie before Justin Taylor would put the Lions back up by two just five seconds later. Liam Winwood would answer with his first and only goal of the night. Kevin Horwitz won the ensuing faceoff and took it down to the field and tied the game at 3-3. The Lions Philip Buque responded with his 33rd goal of the season to give the home team a lead they would never relinquish. Kyle Silverstein added another goal for the Mocs but they would head to the second quarter down 6-4.
- The Lions' Tyler Eames opened the scoring of the second quarter extending the lead to three. Nolan would respond with his second goal of the night to cut the deficit back to two. Saint Leo had other plans as they would rally off four consecutive goals to jump out to a six-goal lead late into the second quarter. Atlas was able to find the back of the net with 72 seconds left in the half but Eames would put the Lions lead back to six with eight seconds remaining in the first half. Saint Leo lead 12-6 at the half.
- Dalton Simpson opened the second half scoring cutting the Lions lead to five. That was short lived as the Lions added three more goals to take a 15-7 lead over the next two minutes. The Mocs looked the gain some momentum as Nolan and Logan Brubaker cut the deficit to six at the 8:27 mark of the third quarter. The Lions took the game away when they put four straight-goals past the Mocs goalie in a three-minute span to take a 19-9 lead. Nolan and Atlas closed out the third quarter with a goal each. Saint Leo would head to the final quarter with a 19-11 advantage.
- Gutmann scored the Mocs 12th goal of the night to open the final quarter of play however, two-goal in less than two minutes pushed the home team past the 20-goal mark. Gutmann added another goal midway through the fourth quarter and Atlas would put the final goal of the game past the Lions goalie but Saint Leo would take game 23-14.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern dropped to 10-6 all-time against Saint Leo. Florida Southern is 4-4 in Saint Leo.
- Florida Southern picked up 42 groundballs to Saint Leo's 44. The Mocs were 1-for-3, while the Lions were 2-for-3 on man-up chances.
- The Mocs caused nine of the Tars 16 turnovers.
- The Mocs won 25 faceoffs on the night, which is third all-time in program history. Horwitz was 22-31, he is now tied for second most faceoffs won in a game with Andrew Fisher (03/14/15 vs. Rollins).
- Florida Southern's 14 goals in the loss ties the program record for second as they also had 14 goals in a 15-14 OT loss to Florida Tech in 2018.
- Florida Southern will host Embry-Riddle for Senior Day on April 13. The Mocs will close out the regular season at Florida Tech (April 20).