LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College men's lacrosse dropped its first conference game of 2019 with a 17-11 loss to Tampa at Moccasin Field on Wednesday night. The Mocs (7-5, 2-1 SSC) saw the Spartans (9-4, 3-0 SSC) jump out to an early 3-0 lead in the first quarter.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tampa's Matt Vetter notched the games first goal at the 14:36 mark of the first quarter. The Mocs thought they had tied the game at 1-1 on a shot from Silverstein only to realize it hit the post and Tampa scooped up the ground ball and raced down the field to take a 2-0 lead. Andrew Kew would put the Spartans up 3-0 with just under eight minutes remaining in the first quarter. Wallace pulled the Mocs within one goal as scored twice in a three-minute span. Jake Mosher McGraw and Kew put the visiting team back up by three late in the first quarter before Simpson closed out the first frame on a feed from Silverstein.
- Wallace put his third goal of the game past the Tampa goalie to open the scoring of the second quarter on a man-up chance to make it a one-goal game. Kew took control of the game as he rattled off three-straight goals to give the Spartans an 8-4 lead. Dylan Carter added another goal for Tampa to put them up by five. Silverstein answered the Spartans 4-0 run with his first goal of the night at the 7:40 mark of the second quarter. Tampa closed out the first half with a 3-0 run to take a 12-5 lead into the ten-minute break.
- Jeff Atlas cut the Spartan lead to six to opened the scoring of the second half. Florida Southern limited Tampa to just two goals in the third quarter while they cut the Spartan lead to five. The Mocs got goals from Atlas, Gutmann, Silverstein, and Simpson. Tampa took a 14-9 lead into the final quarter.
- Bryan Wright put the Spartans up 15-9 before goals from Silverstein and Simpson cut the lead to just four. Two goals in the final minute of the game gave the visiting Spartans a 17-11 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern dropped to 1-12 all-time against Tampa. Florida Southern's lone victory over the Spartans came on 4/12/2012 in an 11-7 win at Tampa.
- Florida Southern picked up 23 groundballs to Tampa's 37. The Mocs were 2-for-3 and UT was 1-for-6 on man-up chances.
- The Mocs caused 13 of the Spartans 22 turnovers.
- Maxwell Freestone made 11 saves on 28 shots on goal in net for Florida Southern.
- Florida Southern hits the road for two-straight at Rollins (April 6) and Saint Leo (April 10).