LAKELAND, FL- Florida Southern College men's lacrosse opened Sunshine State Conference play with a 13-9 victory over Lynn. Freshman Maxwell Freestone made 14 saves for the Mocs (4-3, 1-0 SSC) as they sent the visiting Fighting Knights (3-2, 0-1 SSC) back to Boca Raton with their second loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In what was a rainy dark first quarter the Fighting Knights took its only lead of the game with a 1-0 advantage at the 8:55 mark. The Mocs tied the game at 1-1 with 3:10 left in the opening quarter on an unassisted goal. Kyle Silverstein took a feed from Jeff Atlas at the 2:53 mark for a 2-1 lead.
- The Mocs and the Fighting Knights traded a pair of goals each to open the second quarter. FSC took a 3-1 lead with an unassisted goal by Atlas at the 14:18 mark. Including a Kevin Horowitz goal where he won the faceoff and raced toward the goal and fired it past the Lynn goalie for the score. Sean Nolan, Carson Wallace, and Atlas followed of goals of their own to send the Mocs to halftime with an 8-3 lead.
- Florida Southern's Nick Gutmann gave the Mocs a much-needed insurance goal as Lynn would close out the third quarter on a 3-0 run. The Mocs put three past the Lynn keeper but at the other end of the field, the Knights slipped four past Max Freestone.
- The final quarter saw each team put to in the back of the net. The Mocs saw goals from Silverstein and Nolan. Freestone proved to be a stone wall in the final quarters she made four saves.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Entering the evening's matchup against the Fighting Knights, the Mocs lead the all-time series 3-2. The Mocs held a 3-0 advantage in Boca Raton while Lynn's both wins came in Lakeland. Tonight's victory for the Mocs in Lakeland was the first time in the series the home team was victorious.
- Florida Southern picked up 22 groundballs to Lynns 28. FSC and LU both were successful on one of four man-up chances.
- The Mocs caused 14 of the Fighting Knights 23 turnovers.
- Maxwell Freestone made 13 saves on 23 shots on goal in net for Florida Southern.
- Florida Southern hosts Colorado State-Pueblo (March 19), Belmont Abbey (March 22), and Colorado Mesa (March 24).