SYRACUSE, NY - Florida Southern College men's lacrosse was unable to overcome an early offensive onslaught from No. 2 Le Moyne in an 11-6 loss on Sunday afternoon at Ted Grant Field. The Moccasins (3-3) fell behind the Dolphins (4-0) by three goals after the first quarter and were never able to recover. Le Moyne outshot Florida Southern 29-16 in the first half en route to a 6-4 halftime lead.
Kevin Dyer led the Mocs with three goals while Colin Bayer, Nate Elgin, and Carson Wallace each scored one. Mike Greco made 13 saves in goal, but the Dolphins dominated possession for most of the game by collecting 37 ground balls to just 19 for Florida Southern.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Le Moyne got on the board first with a goal at the 10:34 mark of the first half, but the Mocs tied things up less than three minutes when Elgin found the back of the net with 7:51 to go in the first frame. Despite drawing even, the Dolphins did not lose momentum and answered back with two-straight goals to snag a 3-1 lead with just under five minutes to go in the first.
• After Dyer scored his first goal to make it 3-2 at the 3:42 mark of the first, Le Moyne again tallied back-to-back goals and snagged a 5-2 lead after one-quarter of play. Dyer scored again less than four minutes into the second quarter to make it 5-3, and the Dolphins answered once more with a goal at the 7:46 mark to make it 6-3. Bayer was able to slice the deficit to just two goals (6-4) when he fired home a shot with 51 seconds to go in the first half to make it a two-goal game at the half.
• The third quarter proved to be where Le Moyne would assert itself on defense. Florida Southern was held scoreless in the third despite firing off 14 shots, and the Dolphins netted a goal late in the period to push theirs to three (7-4).
• In the fourth quarter, the Dolphins outscored the Mocs 4-2 to cap off the victory and win by a five-goal margin (11-6). Le Moyne never led by less than three in the fourth quarter and ended the game with two unanswered goals in the final four minutes.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Sunday's game was the first-ever meeting between Florida Southern and Le Moyne. The Dolphins outshot the Moccasins 44-35, but FSC won 11-of-21 faceoffs. The Mocs committed 17 turnovers, and Le Moyne completed 17-of-18 clears.
• Kevin Horwtiz finished with 10 or more faceoff wins for the fourth time this season and led the Moccasins with a team-best four ground balls.
• Florida Southern will return home on Saturday, March 17 to take on Colorado Mesa as part of a three-game homestand. The Mocs open Sunshine State Conference on March 24 against Palm Beach Atlantic.