LAKELAND, FL - Vaun Brown homered twice and Trevor Castell picked up his fourth straight win on the mound as Florida Southern College baseball defeated Embry-Riddle, 8-3, in Sunshine State Conference action on Sunday at Rodda Stadium at Henley Field. The Moccasins (18-13, 4-8 SSC) hit three homers, two from Brown and another from Zach Scott, to take the third contest of a three-game weekend series against the Eagles (19-11, 8-4).
Castell (4-1) surrendered one run in the top of the first, but settled in after that and allowed just three runs on five hits in 5.0 innings of work. He struck out three and walked three. Brown, who led off the bottom of the first with a solo shot to left, finished 2-for-5 with four RBI. Scott tallied three hits on the day and drove in two runs with an RBI double in the fourth and a solo homer in the eighth.
Payton Rice (2-5) took the loss for Embry-Riddle after allowing seven runs, six earned, in 6.0 innings. He allowed eight hits and recorded four strikeouts with one walk. The Mocs are back home next weekend with a three-game series against Rollins (April 5-7).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- ERAU got on the board in the top of the first when Kyle Guttveg led off the inning with a double to left center and came around to score on Kyle Marsh's single to left two batters later. Castell was able to induce a 4-6-3 double play on the next batter to escape the inning after surrendering just the one run.
- The Moccasins answered back immediately in the bottom of the inning when Brown hit a high fly ball to left that just cleared the wall to tie things up at 1-1. After Colin Camarigg single with one out and Alan Burnsed did the same with two away, Zach Diewert stepped to the plate and drilled a double down the left field line to plate two runs and give Southern a 3-1 lead after the first inning.
- With no outs and runners on first and second in the fourth inning, Scott double to right to bring Alan Burnsed in from second to make it 4-1. The Eagles had to settle for just one run on Cole Habig's triple in the sixth when Zach Howard was thrown out trying to score on a wild 9-2-5-1 putout that kept the Mocs ahead by two (4-2).
- Brown put the game out of reach in the top of the sixth when he smacked an 0-2 pitch over the wall in left field with a pair of runners on to make it 7-2. The home run came after Scott singled with one out and Austin Huber drew a two-out walk.
- Embry-Riddle scored one more time on an RBI single in the top of the eighth, but Scott smashed a ball to left center for his sixth home run of the year and Leo Rodriguez sat the Eagles down in order in the top of the ninth to give the Mocs an 8-3 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 15-6 all-time against Embry-Riddle, including an 8-5 mark when facing the Eagles at home.
- Jacob Teter reached base safely for the 31st game in a row when he singled in the fifth inning.
- Castell won his fourth-straight start. He is 4-0 with a 2.05 ERA in his last four outings. Castell has recorded 25 strikeouts and walked just six batters in 22.0 innings during that stretch.
- Rodriguez has now thrown 15.1 consecutive innings without a run dating back to last year. He is 1-0 with six saves in 14.1 innings pitched this season. He has recorded 23 strikeouts and walked just four this year.
- Florida Southern will host Rollins for a three-game series next weekend (April 5-7) before heading to Florida Tech (April 12-14). The Mocs return home for three games against Palm Beach Atlantic (April 18-19), which includes a doubleheader.