BOCA RATON, FL - Cooper Bradford put together his best start of the season and Isaiah Cullum drove in five runs as Florida Southern College baseball topped Lynn, 8-2, in game two of a three-game Sunshine State Conference series on Saturday at the Lynn Baseball Field. The Moccasins (16-11, 2-6 SSC) fell behind after the first inning but rallied for runs in the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh innings to take the lead and tacked on two more in the ninth to defeat the Fighting Knights (15-14, 5-9).
Bradford (1-2) picked up the win by allowing just two runs on five hits in 8.0 innings of work while striking out nine and walking five. Cullum finished 3-for-4 with five RBI, a home run, and a pair of doubles, while Jacob Teter drove in a pair of runs and Zach Diewert scored twice. Samuel Beck (1-1) took the loss for Lynn after surrendering three runs on eight hits in just 4.1 innings. Leo Rodriguez pitched a perfect ninth inning for the Mocs to slam the door shut.
The teams will conclude their three-game series with a 1 p.m. first pitch on Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bradford got off to a rocky start in the bottom of the first when he allowed a run to come across on a wild pitch with one out, but settled into a groove after that by retiring 13 of the next 17 batters he faced before allowing a run in the sixth. After allowing the run in the first, Bradford did not allow a Lynn runner to move past first base until James Buckley tripled in the fifth but failed to score as Bradford induced a pop up to second base to end the inning.
- In the meantime, Florida Southern's offense got on the board in the top of the fourth when Zach Diewert scored on a wild pitch following Cullum's two-out walk to load the bases. The Mocs added two more in the fifth when Teter singled through the right side with one away to bring Pablo Cabrera and Colin Camarigg around to score and make it 3-1.
- Cullum led off the sixth inning with a solo shot to left to push the lead to 4-1, but the Knights got one back in the bottom half of the inning on Luis Beltran's solo shot to left. It would be the only other blemish on Bradford's final line as he put his full arsenal of pitches on display by striking out the side in the seventh and working around a pair of one-out walks in the eighth.
- The Moccasins also added two more runs in the seventh on Cullum's double to right center and scored another pair in the ninth when Cullum again doubled to right center to plate two. Rodriguez breezed through the ninth with three-straight groundouts to third to finish off the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 56-36 all-time against Lynn, including a 22-17 record in Boca Raton. The Mocs ended a six-game road losing streak to the Knights with Saturday's win.
- Teter reached base safely for the 27th time this season, while Cullum reached safely for the 11th game in a row. Camarigg pushed his hitting streak to 10 games.
- Cabrera picked up the 188th hit of his career. He needs 40 more to crack the top 10 in school history in career hits.
- Bradford threw 119 pitches in his start on Saturday, 73 of which went for strikes. Rodriguez needed just seven pitches to get through the ninth and has yet to allow a run in 10 appearances out the bullpen. He has not allowed a hit in any of his last five outings, tossing a total of seven innings in those games.
- Florida Southern and Lynn will play the final game of a three-game series tomorrow at 1 p.m. The Mocs return home next weekend for three games against Embry-Riddle (March 29-31).