ORANGEBURG, SC - Alex Goebel drove in four runs, including three in a five-run seventh inning, as Florida Southern College baseball finished off a three-game series sweep of Claflin with a 10-3 victory at historic Mirmow Field on Sunday. The Moccasins (12-8) picked up their fifth-straight win and defeated the Panthers (12-7) for the 15th time in a row. Ryan Langford (1-0) picked up the win for the Mocs by tossing 2.2 scoreless innings in relief.
Vaun Brown, Cody Duke, Zach Scott, and Jacob Teter each finished with two hits, while Scott picked up three RBI and Teter drove in one. Florida Southern is back home on Tuesday at 6 p.m. against Flagler before playing seven in a row on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Claflin got on the board first in the third inning when an error by second baseman Ricky Gonzalez allowed a run to score, but the Moccasins wasted no time in answering by scoring two runs in the top of the fourth. The first came across when Gonzalez scored on Scott's RBI single, and Goebel added a second run when Teter scored on a double play. Scott scored on an error in the sixth to give the Mocs a 3-1 lead.
- The Panthers rallied with a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth to tie it at 3-3 on an RBI single and an error by shortstop Collin Camarigg. But Florida Southern again answered in the next inning. After loading the bases on Camarigg's bunt single with one out, Duke scored on a passed ball to make it 4-3 and Scott drew a bases-loaded walk to give Southern a 5-3 cushion.
- Goebel put the game out of reach when he hit a bases-clearing double in the next at-bat to push Florida Southern's lead to five (8-3). Teter singled in the top of the ninth to plate another run, and the final Moccasin run came across on Scott's sac fly to right.
- Carson King got the start for the Mocs and allowed three runs (one earned) on four hits while striking out five and walking three. Langford recorded a pair of strikeouts in his stint in relief, and Logan Verrino pitched a scoreless ninth to finish the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 15-0 all-time against Claflin, including a 9-0 mark when facing the Panthers on the road. The team have met for a three-game series in each of the previous four seasons. This is the second-straight year that the Mocs have gone on the road to face Claflin. Moccasin head coach Lance Niekro pushed his career record to 199-123-1 and needs just one win to hit 200 for his career.
- Langford's win was the first of his career, while Teter extended his hitting streak to 10 games. He has also reached base safely in all 20 games this season. Teter and Scott have eight multiple-hit games this year. Gonzalez (9) and Brown (7) are also on significant hitting streaks.
- Florida Southern will host Flagler at home on March 12 (6 p.m.) before playing its next seven on the road.