ST. AUGUSTINE – J.T. Hintzen struck out eight over 5.0 innings of shutout relief as third-ranked Florida Southern downed #6 Flagler, 2-1, here Tuesday at Drysdale Field on the Flagler campus. The win improves Florida Southern to 18-2-1 on the year while Flagler sees its 17-game win streak snapped and its record drop to 20-3.
Austin Mauer singled to drive in Dylan Costa in the third inning to break a 1-1 tie and push the Mocs to the win. FSC starter Matt Martin struck out five in the first four innings before giving way to Hintzen.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Moccasins wasted little time in getting on the scoreboard as lead-off batter Cody Burgess hit the fourth pitch he saw over the right-center field fence for his fifth homer and 19th run batted in.
- Flagler tied the game in the bottom of the first with a double and a single off of Martin.
- Florida Southern wasted an opportunity with one out in the second as Hayden Marze hit a shot back to the box after which Flagler starter Jett Walsh threw into right field, allowing Marze to advance all the way to third base. However, Walsh retired the next two batters to end the frame.
- The Moccasins grabbed the lead back, 2-1, in the top of the third as Dylan Costa led off with a single and, one out later, moved to second on a walk by Pablo Cabrera. Mauer then sent a soft liner into center field to plate Costa with 19th RBI of the season.
- Martin got out of a jam in the third giving up two singles and a walk with two outs but came back to get the final out on a called strike three. After allowing two base runners on a single and a walk in the fourth, Martin gave way to Hintzen to start the fifth.
- The senior righty gave up a one-out single and then got a double play to end the fifth and followed by setting down the next 11 batters in a row, before allowing a single with two outs in the ninth. Hintzen struck out the side in the eighth and whiffed the lead-off batter in the ninth. The win moves Hintzen to 4-0 on the year, tying him with Logan Browning for the team lead in victories.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Moccasins now lead the series with Flagler by a 20-10 margin, but the Saints hold a slim 7-6 advantage in games played in St. Augustine. Florida Southern is now 8-2-1 on the road in 2018.
- Florida Southern entered the game ranked fifth in the NCAA Division II with 30 home runs and not have 31 with Burgess's shot in the first. This is the second time this season Burgess has led off the game for the Mocs with a homer. He also accomplished the feat on Feb. 3 in a 4-1 win over West Florida.
- Cabrera and Mauer each had two hits for Florida Southern which out-hit Flagler 8-7.
- The Moccasins are now 5-1-1 vs. ranked teams this season.
- The Moccasins will return to Sunshine State Conference action on Friday, March 16, hosting Eckerd in a three-game series at Henley Field.The two teams open play Friday in a single game at 6 p.m. and then return to Henley Field on Saturday for a 1 p.m. doubleheader.