LAKELAND – Jason Sierra had two of the Moccasins five home runs on Saturday while Chase Pilato struck out seven in 6.0 innings as Florida Southern took a doubleheader from Eckerd, winning 16-6 and 8-1, to complete a three-game Sunshine State Conference series sweep of the Tritons.
The wins push the Moccasins win streak to 13 games and improve the team's record to 20-6 overall record and 6-3 in the SSC while Eckerd falls to 12-18 and 4-8.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE)
- The Moccasins took advantage of a pair of Eckerd errors to score an unearned in the first inning.
- The Tritons answered with a solo run in the top of the second on back-to-back singles by Garrett Hiott and Chase Achuff.
- Logan Browning doubled in two runs for the Moccasins in the third and later scored himself on a single by Evan Barnes as FSC took a 4-1 lead.
- Sierra slammed his fifth homer of the season with Mitch Reeves aboard in the fourth inning as the lead grew to 6-1.
- Sierra then singled in two runs in the fifth inning while a third Eckerd error allowed two more runs to score for a 10-1 Moccasin margin.
- The Tritons then tagged Moccasin starter Jake Walsh (5-1) for five runs in the sixth inning, but reliever Walker Burgess came on to squelch the Eckerd rally by retiring each of the eight batters he faced in order.
- Florida Southern capped the scoring with a five spot in the bottom of the seventh, highlighted by a two-run homer by Cody Burgess (his eighth of the season) and a three-run blast by Austin Mauer for the final 16-6 margin.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO)
- Pilato limited Eckerd to three hits over the first three innings before allowing an unearned run in the top of the fourth. The sophomore righty finished by retiring eight of the final ten batters he faced. J.T. Hintzen tossed 2.1 perfect innings of relief work with five strikeouts while A.J. Smith recorded the final two outs.
- After scoring an unearned run in the second, the Mocs went back to the long ball in the third as Sierra clubbed his second homer of the day with Reeves aboard for a 3-0 lead.
- Florida Southern added a fourth run in the bottom of the fourth on a RBI-single by Pablo Cabrera while Logan Browning's two-run homer highlighted a four-run seventh for the Moccasins.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern now leads the all-time series between the two schools by a 140-37 margin with wins in each of the last eight games versus the Tritons. The Moccasins hold a 76-14 advantage in games played in Lakeland.
- The Moccasins knocked out seven homers in the three-game set with the Tritons and outscored Eckerd 30-9 in the series.
- Florida Southern pitchers combined to post a 2.33 earned run average in the series, giving up just seven earned runs.
- The Moccasin bullpen has allowed just three earned runs in the last 34.0 innings over 13 games.
- Florida Southern plays at Flagler College in St. Augustine on Tuesday at 6 p.m. and then travels to West Palm Beach on Friday and Saturday for a three-game series at Palm Beach Atlantic.