ORANGEBURG, SC - Freshman Christian Maglich slammed two home runs and added a pair of singles as 20th-ranked Florida Southern downed Claflin, 15-2 here Sunday at Mirmow Field, to complete the Moccasins' three-game sweep of the Panthers. Logan Browning and Kevin Fuller each added four RBI as Florida Southern recorded its fifth straight win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the second inning, Maglich singled while Fuller followed with his first homer of the season.
- Maglich delivered his first homer of the season to lead off the top of the fifth inning and the Moccasins (8-2) added four more unearned runs in the frame on a bases-loaded walk by Jason Sierra and a three-run double by Browning for a 7-0 Florida Southern lead.
- An inning later, Maglich again led off an inning with a round-tripper for a 8-0 margin.
- After Claflin (1-10) added a two-run homer in the seventh inning, the Moccasins erupted for seven unearned runs in the eighth inning. The first run came across when Sierra was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Browning then plated a run with an infield ground out while a third run scored on a throwing error. Maglich then singled in Sierra while Fuller drove in a pair with a double. Pablo Cabrera wrapped up the scoring with a RBI-single.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern has now swept all four season series over Claflin for a 12-0 margin.
- Jake Walsh (2-0) tossed six shutout innings for Florida Southern, holding Claflin to three hits while striking out seven and walking just one. In his three starts so far this season, Walsh has allowed just one run and has now tossed 14.1 consecutive scoreless innings to lower his ERA to just 0.45 on the season.
- J.J. Niekro and J.T. Hintzen worked scoreless 8th and 9th innings, respectively, for the Moccasins.
- Florida Southern batted .396 in the three-game series, out-hitting Claflin, 53-22, and outscoring the Panthers, 57-10. The Moccasins collected 12 homers over the four games and recorded 12 doubles.
- Maglich scored four times for Florida Southern while Omar Villaman, Mitch Reeves, Sierra, and Fuller each scored twice.
- Florida Southern will play the Detroit Tigers in the two teams' annual Spring Training clash on Thursday, Feb. 23, at 1:05 p.m. at the newly renovated Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium.
- The Moccasins will then open Sunshine State Conference play the next day, travailing to Boca Raton to play a three-game series at Lynn University, Feb. 24-25.