PENSACOLA, FL – Senior Evan Barnes drove in five runs with four hits in as many at bats as 19th Florida Southern completed a three-game sweep of 20th-ranked West Florida with a 7-3 triumph in seven innings here at Jim Spooner Field. The Moccasins stand at 3-0 on the young season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Moccasins scored first for the third time in as many games, getting one run in the top of the second when Evan Barnes singled in Jason Sierra who led off the frame with a walk.
- The Argonauts quickly took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the inning as Justin Ambrosino and Ladaveon Matthews had back-to-back singles to start off. Ambrosino scored on a infield ground out and Matthews came across on a wild pitch.
- Florida Southern then erupted for four runs in the top of the third with Cody Burgess sparking the rally with a lead-off single. Omar Villaman then reached when his sacrifice bunt was misplayed by the UWF pitcher. One out later, Sierra enticed a second walk while Browning was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Barnes then cleared the bases with a double to the gap in left center for a 5-2 Moccasin lead.
- West Florida got one run back in the bottom of the fourth on three straight singles, including a run-scoring hit by Tanner May to make the score 5-3.
- The Moccasins capped their scoring with two runs in the top of the seventh. Jason Sierra drew his fourth walk of the game to lead off the inning and was followed by consecutive singles from Logan Browning and Barnes for one run. Two walks later pushed across the sixth run.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Barnes made his 2017 debut a spectacular, collecting four hits in as many at bats. He singled in the second; doubled in three runs in the third, and singled again in the fifth and seventh innings.
- Cody Burgess singled twice while Villaman, Browning, and Vaun Braun accountted for the rest of the Moccasins hits.
- A.J. Smith got the win with 4-1/3 innings, scattering six hits and allowing three runs (two earned) with a pair of strikeouts. Tyler Knowles worked the final 2-2/3 and held West Florida scoreless to pick up the save.
- FSC out-hit UWF, 28-18 in the series and outscored the Argonauts 17-7 in the three games.
- The Moccasins now lead the series 21-19 and have won four straight and five of the last six dating back to last season.
- Florida Southern returns home for its home season opener on Friday, Feb. 10. The Mocs will face Delta State at 6 pm Friday and then play a split doubleheader on Saturday, taking on Mount Olive at noon with a second game to follow against Delta State. The weekend wraps with a 1 pm home game on Sunday vs. Mount Olive. All games will be played at Henley Field.