TIFFIN, OH - Marina Jozokos put the Mocs up 3-0 in the first three minutes of the game and Brenna Smith added two more goals in the first ten minutes as Florida Southern College women's lacrosse scored all the goals needed to defeat Tiffin. In her return home, Smith recorded the game-winning goal for the Mocs (13-2, 4-1 SSC) at the 20:36 mark of the first half to beat the Dragons (7-6, 3-0 GMAC). The victory also marked head coach Kara Reber's 200th career coaching victory.
Jozokos recorded five goals to lead the Florida Southern offense and Smith recorded three goals. Three Mocs had a multi-goal game while an additional trio of Mocs tallied a goal in the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• It took 92 seconds for the Mocs to open the scoring in the first half as Jozokos took a feed from Aubriana Benedetto to give the visiting Mocs a 1-0 lead. Jozokos would put two more behind the Tiffin goalie to put the Mocs up 3-0. Smith would score the next two goals for the Mocs. Two Ohio natives would team up for the game-winning goal as Dani Bursinger would assist on Smiths second goal of the game at the 20:36 mark of the first half. On a women-up opportunity, Riley Bannatyne took a feed from Grace Glinecki for the Mocs first of two women-up goals as the visiting Mocs opened the game on a 6-0 run. The Dragons would score the next two goals of the game to cut the FSC lead to four with 13 minutes remaining in the first half. With just under ten minutes left in the first 30 minutes, Bursinger added on a seventh goal for the Mocs. Florida Southern would take a 7-2 lead into the half.
• Tiffin came out of the break with a goal from Amie Morrison to cut the Mocs lead to four but that was short lived as the Mocs would answer with a 9-0 run late into the second half. Jozokos put her fourth goal past the Tiffin goalie just under the 24:00 minute mark of the second half. In a similar fashion as her first goal of the game, Smith followed up a Jozokos goal with a goal of her own this time assisted by Jozokos. A. Benedetto added another goal for the Mocs, also assisted by Jozokos. After assisting on two goals, Jozokos put her fifth goal in the back of the net off a feed from Lizzy Lynch for the Mocs second women-up goal of the game. Thirty-two seconds after a Bursinger goal put the Mocs up 12-3, Glinecki put the visitors up by ten goals. Sarah Grady followed with her first goal of the game off a free position. For the 12th time this season, the Mocs recorded 15 goals as Glinecki took a feed from Ashley Norberg at the 9:55 mark. Just like her previous goal, Grady followed Glinecki with an unassisted goal. The Dragons would score their final goal of the game at the 4:53 mark of the second half. Lynch would record her second assist of the game as Gracie Maganzini put the final goal of the game in the back of the net for the Mocs.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 2-0 all-time against Tiffin. The Mocs now have victories in Tiffin, OH, and Lakeland over the Dragons.
• Florida Southern won 12 of 23 draw controls.
• Florida Southern picked up 21 ground balls to 14 by Tiffin. The Mocs converted 14 successful clears on 17 attempts.
• The Mocs fired off 32 shots, 25 of which were on goal. Seven of the Dragons 12 shots were on goal. Florida Southern caused 10 turnovers as Tiffin turned the ball over 28 times.
• Head Coach Kara Reber became the first Sunshine State Conference women's lacrosse coach to record her 200th coaching victory. The victory improved her all-time coaching record to 200-72. She holds a 132-24 record at the helm of the Mocs.
• The Mocs roster has three student-athletes from the state of Ohio and together they combined for five goals on eight shots, two assists, four ground balls, and a caused turnover.
• The Mocs four-game road trip to end the regular season continues as they close out their trip to Ohio for the final non-conference game of the regular season against Findlay Findlay (April 14). The regular season finale put the Mocs at Palm Beach Atlantic (April 20).