TAMPA, FL - Florida Southern College women's lacrosse suffered its first loss to Tampa in program history. The Mocs (8-2, 1-1 SSC) rallied to erase a seven-goal deficit to tie the Spartans (7-2, 1-0 SSC) at 13-13 in the second half.
Riley Bannatyne led the offense with five goals, Grace Glinecki (3) and Maliah Benedetto (2) each found the back of the net multiple times. Four more Mocs found the back of the net.
HOW IT HAPPENED • The two teams traded the first four goals as Tampa got on the board at the 25:19 mark of the first half. Aubriana Benedetto quickly tied the game at 1-1 as she put a free position shot past the Spartans goalie. After Tampa took at 2-1 lead, A. Benedetto tied the game back up at 2-2 at the 20:19 mark of the first half. The Spartans defense would keep the Mocs scoreless as the offense went on a 7-0 run to take a 9-2 lead late in the first half. At the 4:45 mark, Bannatyne would end the Mocs scoring drought with an unassisted goal. Tampa added another quick goal to put the Mocs deficit back to seven. Bannatyne and Julia Couch added a pair of goals for the Mocs to cut the Tampa lead to five as momentum started to shift the Mocs way. The Spartans would take a 10-5 lead into the break.
• Three minutes into the second half Brenna Smith put a free position shot past Bridget Sutter for a third consecutive Mocs goal. After a 3-0 run by the Spartans, the Mocs responded to a turnover by the home team and went on a 7-0 to tie the game at 13-13. Glinecki put all three of her goals on the night past Sutter during this span of goals for the Mocs. Following the Mocs 7-0 run to tie the game at 13-13, the Spartans put a trio of goals past the Mocs goalie to claim the victory. Bannatyne added a fifth gold on the night but it was not enough as the Spartans held the ball the final two minutes to secure its programs first-ever victory over the Mocs.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern moved to 7-1 all-time against Tampa. Wednesday nights loss was the first for the Mocs in the series.
• Florida Southern won 18 of 32 draw controls.
• Florida Southern picked up 19 ground balls to 33 by Tampa. The Mocs converted 16 successful clears on 20 attempts.
• The Mocs fired off 34 shots, 25 of which were on goal. 25 of the Spartans 33 shots were on goal. Florida Southern caused 11 turnovers as Tampa had 21 turnovers on the night.
• Florida Southern closes out March at home against Mount Olive (March 30).