Eight members of the Florida Southern men's tennis team have been named to the 2017-18 All-Academic team by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. The honored players (and their respective majors) include:
- Victor Ahlbeck - Jr. (Economics)
- Tim Becker - Fr. (Sports Management)
- Derek Bell - Sr. (Business Administration)
- Mark Bucknam - Jr. (Psychology / Sports Communication and Marketing)
- Lance Francisco - Sr. (Business Administration)
- Matt Matsuyama - Sr. (Sports Management)
- Jeffrey Verberne - So. (Business Management and Accounting)
- Lennart Vossgäetter - So. (Marine Biology)
Matsuyama has earned the ITA All-Academic Award in each of his four seasons while Bell, Bucknam, and Francisco have all earned the honor three times. This is the first season that Vossgaätter has received the ITA recognition and is the also first year on the ITA All-Academic squad for Ahlbeck and Becker, who just completed their first year with the Moccasins.
In addition, Florida Southern selected as an ITA All-Academic Team. The Moccasins posted a 3.67 team grade point average this past spring.
The ITA All-Academic Team award is open to any ITA program that has a cumulative team grade point average of 3.20 or above (on a 4.00 scale). All varsity letter winners should be factored into the cumulative team GPA for the current academic year (including fall 2016 and spring 2017).
In order to earn ITA Scholar-Athlete status a player must meet the following criteria: 1.) be a varsity letter winner, 2.) have a grade point average of at least 3.50 (on a 4.00 scale) for the current academic year, and 3.) have been enrolled at their present school for at least 2 semesters (including freshman through senior year).