ST. PETERSBURG, FL - A pair of big innings early on proved too much to overcome as Florida Southern College baseball fell to Eckerd by an 11-4 final in the opener of a three-game Sunshine State Conference series on Friday night at the Turley Athletic Complex. The Moccasins (13-9, 0-4) jumped out to a 2-0 lead, but the Tritons (15-8, 6-4) plated three runs in the bottom of the second and four more in the third to put the game out of reach early.
Cooper Bradford (0-2) suffered the loss for the Mocs by allowing eight runs on eight hits in four innings and Dillon McCollough (5-0) picked up the win for Eckerd by allowing three runs and scattering 10 hits while striking out nine in 6.1 innings of work. Colin Camarigg went 3-for-5 with a home run, while Zach Diewert (3-for-3) and Isaiah Cullum (2-for-3) also finished with multiple hits. The teams will conclude their three-game set with a doubleheader at 1 p.m. tomorrow.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mocs got off to a lightning fast start when Camarigg took a 3-2 pitch over the left field wall to make it 1-0. Florida Southern tacked on another run in the top of the second when Vaun Brown hit an RBI single to center to bring Zach Scott in from second. Southern had a chance to add to the lead with the bases loaded and one out, but Dylan Costa struck out swinging and Camarigg flew to right to end the threat.
- Eckerd answered with three runs in the bottom of the second to take the lead. After a walk and a single put runners on, Justin Glover came to the plate and smashed a three-run shot to right to put the Tritons up 3-2.
- Things would fall apart for the Mocs in the bottom of the third as Eckerd plated four runs in the inning. After Nick Conti doubled to left to lead things off and came around to score on a single two batters later, the Tritons would plate one more run on a fielding error, and two on a single through the right side of the infield to make it 7-2 after three innings.
- Eckerd added on another run in the fourth and two more in the sixth to take a 10-2 lead before the Moccasins finally scored again on Jacob Teter's bases-loaded walk in the seventh. The Tritons scored their final run in the bottom of the seventh on another RBI single, and Southern scored once in the top of the eighth on Cullum's RBI groundout to make the final 11-4.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern fell to 144-39 all-time against Eckerd, including a 65-23 record when facing the Tritons on the road.
- Teter reached base safely for the 22nd-straight game, while Diewert and Scott reached for the 11th time in a row.
- Florida Southern and Eckerd will wrap up their three-game series with a doubleheader at 1 p.m. on Saturday. The Mocs head to Flagler on Tuesday and will play a three-game series at Lynn next weekend.