CARY, NC - Columbus State took advantage of four errors and nine walks by Florida Southern to score nine unearned runs in an 11-6 win, eliminating the Moccasins from play the at the 2018 NCAA Division II Baseball National Tournament here at the USA Baseball National Training Complex. The Cougars jumped out to an 8-0 lead after three innings and the Moccasins could not overcome the early deficit.
Florida Southern ends its season with a 45-11-1 record while Columbus State (48-14) advances to play Augustana on Saturday at noon. The Cougars will need two wins for the national championship while the undefeated Vikings need just one victory for the crown.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern let an opportunity slip by in the top of the first as Cody Burgess singled to right to lead off the game. Pablo Cabrera hit a ball to the Columbus State first baseman who misfired throwing to second base for an error. Logan Browning then drew a walk to load the bases. Cougar starter Kolton Ingram (14-3) recovered to strike out the next two batters and then get an inning-ending groundout.
- Columbus State came back in the bottom of the frame, sending 10 men to the plate for five runs off Moccasin starter Thomas Spinelli (5-4). After a quick two outs, Spinelli walked the bases loaded. Robert Brooks then hit a high pop up that FSC second baseman Dylan Costa misplayed allowing two runs to score. A single and a wild pitch allowed for another run to cross the plate while the fifth run came across on a base hit. Matt Martin came on in relief and struck out the 10th batter to finally end the inning.
- The Cougars got the first two runners on base in the bottom of the third on a walk and a hit batsman by Martin. Two outs later, Drew Webb drilled a base hit through the left side that got under the glove of Moccasin left fielder Christian Maglich allowing Webb to circle the bases for three more runs and an 8-0 lead.
- Omar Villaman drew a walk to open the fourth inning. Hayden Marze then hit a ball to the corner in right field that was initially called a foul ball. Moccasin head coach Lance Niekro appealed to the umpires who went to video replay. After a lengthy delay, the ball was ruled fair and Villaman was placed at third and Marze at second with the double. Maglich followed with a walk to load the bases while Alex Goebel grounded out to drive in Villaman with the Mocs' first run. Costa walked to once again load the bases, but Ingram got a groundout to end the threat.
- Martin pitched his way out of a jam in the fourth inning after allowing back-to-back singles with one out. The junior righthander got Brown fly out to center field and then struck out Brooks to end the inning.
- Columbus State tacked on two unearned runs with two outs in the fifth on a single, a walk, and a pair of Moccasin errors for a 10-1 margin.
- Florida Southern got the two runs back in the top of the sixth as Jacob Teter led off with a double and Maglich singled. After a walk to Goebel to lead the bases, Costa drove in Teter on a fielder's choice while Burgess plated Maglich with a sacrifice fly to centerfield. Cabrera followed with his third straight single but Ingram retired Browning on a pop fly to stop the rally.
- Alex Kennell tossed a scoreless sixth inning in relief for the Moccasins, retiring three of the four batters he faced.
- The Moccasins added an unearned run in the top of the seventh as Villaman led off with his 10th base hit of the tournament and moved to third on a single by Hayden Marze. Villaman then scored on a double play to make the score 10-4.
- The Cougars added a solo run in the seventh off of reliever Logan Verrino without the benefit of a hit as Webb walked, stole second, went to third on a fly ball, and scored on a wild pitch.
- Florida Southern added a pair of runs in the eighth as Goebel walked and Costa singled. A sacrifice fly by Burgess scored Goebel while Costa came across on a single by Browning. Villaman followed with his 11th base hit of the week, but a strikeout ended the inning.
- Leo Rodriguez worked the ninth for the Moccasins, allowing a walk and a base hit, but finished with back-to-back strikeouts.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern now has a 153-80 record in the NCAA postseason.
- This was the 15th meeting between Florida Southern and Columbus State. The Moccasins lead the series 9-6.
- The video replay in the fourth inning was just the second time it had been used since being implemented at last year's championship and is the first call to be reversed by replay.
- The double by Teter in the sixth extended his hitting streak to 12 games, the third hitting streak of 10 or more games by Teter this season.
- Villaman was 2-for-4 in today's game and was 11x21 (.524) in five games at the national tournament.
- The four miscues by the Moccasins marked only the third time this season Florida Southern had made more than two errors in a contest.
- All 11 runs scored by the Cougars came with two outs.
- Florida Southern out-hit Columbus State, 13-7, but stranded 12 runners in the game.
- Five Moccasin pitchers combined for eight strikeouts upping the FSC school record 513 on the season.
- This is the second time a Moccasin team has finished third at the national tournament (the 1969 team also placed third). Florida Southern has won nine NCAA Division II National Championships and finished runner-up four times.
- The third-place finish by the baseball caps an impressive year for Moccasins athletics that also saw the volleyball and women's lacrosse teams finish as national runners-up; the men's golf team finished as national semi-finalists, and the men's swim team placed fourth nationally.
NCAA DIVISION II BASE
- Game 1 - #5 Augustana 5, #4 Southern New Hampshire 2
- Game 2 - #1 Florida Southern 5, #8 Southern Indiana 3
- Game 3 - #3 UC San Diego 4, #6 Texas A&M Kingsville 0
- Game 4 - #2 Columbus State 8, #7 Mercyhurst 1
- Game 5 - Southern New Hampshire 3, Southern Indiana 0 (Southern Indiana eliminated)
- Game 6 - Augustana 6, Florida Southern 5
- Game 7 - Texas A&M Kingsville 9, Mercyhurst 0 (Mercyhurst eliminated)
- Game 8 - Columbus State 6, UC San Deigo 0
- Game 9 - Florida Southern 8, Texas A&M-Kingsville 0(Texas A&M-Kingsville eliminated)
- Game 10 - Southern New Hampshire 7, UC San Diego 4 (UC San Diego eliminated)
- Game 11 - Florida Southern 3, Columbus State 2
- Game 12 - Augustana 8, Southern New Hampshire 2 (Southern New Hampshire eliminated)
- Game 13 - Columbus State 11, Florida Southern 6 (Florida Southern eliminated)
- Game 14 (June 2, 12 pm) - Augustana vs. Columbus State
- Game 15 (June 2, 3 pm) - (necessary only if Columbus State defeats Augustana in Game 14)