WEST PALM BEACH, FL - Logan Browning went 3-for-5 and Jacob Teter added his 10th home run as No. 2 Florida Southern downed Palm Beach Atlantic, 7-2, in the Sunshine State Conference series finale played here Saturday at J.M. "Jake" Rubin Park. Browning has now had at least one base hit in 16 consecutive games while Teter becomes the third Moccasin this season to reach double digits in home runs.
The win lifts the Moccasins to 34-5-1 overall and 17-4 in the SSC while Palm Beach Atlantic sinks to 22-22 and 10-14 in the conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a 1-2-3 first inning, Florida Southern opened the second inning with three straight base hits. Omar Villaman and Logan Browning singled and Hayden Marze followed with a double down the left field line to score both runners and increase SSC-leading RBI total to 56 on the season.
- The Moccasins added a solo run in the third as Cody Burgess drew a lead-off walk, moved to second on a single by Pablo Cabrera and then scored on Villaman's second single of the game.
- A walk factored into the Moccasins' fourth-run as Cabrera got a free pass with one out, went to second on a base hit by Austin Mauer and then scored Browning's third single in as many at-bats to put Florida Southern ahead 4-0.
- Palm Beach Atlantic cut the Florida Southern lead in half with a pair of runs on three hits including a two-RBI double by Mike Santaeomita off Moccasin starter J.J. Niekro (5-0).
- Jacob Teter sent the first pitch he saw in the top of the sixth over the right field fence for a 5-0 Moccasin lead. It was the freshman first baseman's 10th homer of the year, making him the third Moccasin this season to reach double figures in home runs.
- Niekro started the sixth inning, but after throwing six straight balls was lifted due to a possible injury and replaced by J.T. Hintzen.
- Florida Southern combined two base hits with two Palm Beach Atlantic errors for two insurance runs in the top of the eighth. With two outs, Vaun Brown doubled to right field while Dylan Costa singled to center field. Brown scored on the play while Costa went to second on the throw home and then advanced to third when the Sailfish catcher threw wild to second base. Cody Burgess then hit a roller to first base that was misplayed allowing Costa to score for a 7-2 lead.
- The Sailfish added a solo run in the ninth on two walks and a groundout off reliever Mike Palaez.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern and Palm Beach Atlantic have now met 33 times. The Moccasins lead the series by a 26-7 margin and enjoy an 11-4 advantage in games played in West Palm Beach.
- Browning's second-inning single extended his hitting streak to 16 games, which is the longest hitting streak for a Moccasins since Zach Maggard also reached 16 games in 2009. Browning is now hitting .476 on the season.
- In addition to Browning's streak, Teter extended his had at least one base hit in 11 straight games while Villaman had hits in 10 straight games.
- Teter's lead-off homer in the sixth is his 10th of the season and ties him for ninth most in a single season for any Moccasin player. Cody Burgess reached that milestone in the Mocs' 10-1 in game one on Friday. Teter's home run gives the Moccasins 63 on the season, which is sixth most in Moccasin history. Last year's team set the school record with 81 round trippers.
- Florida Southern has three SSC series remaining on the schedule – all against teams ranked in the top 20 of the Collegiate Baseball national poll. FSC returns home to face 9th-ranked Nova Southeastern in a three-day series April 27-29 at Henley Field before closing out the home portion of its schedule on May 3-4 against No. 17 Saint Leo. The Moccasin then travel to No. 4 Tampa to close out the regular season on May 11-12.