LAKELAND – Cody Burgess started and ended the Moccasins' scoring on Saturday here at Henley Field as Florida Southern swept a Sunshine State Conference doubleheader from Eckerd, taking game one, 10-5, and then winning game two, 6-5. Burgess hit a three-run home run in the second inning of game one and then won game two with a walk-off homer on the first pitch of the bottom of the ninth.
The two wins improve the Moccasins' record to 21-2-1 overall and 5-1 in the SSC while the Tritons drop to 10-13 overall and 3-9 in the conference.
HOW IN HAPPENED - GAME ONE
- Florida Southern jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second inning as Hayden Marze and Vaun Brown drew walks while Burgess later homered to left field for his sixth home run of the season.
- The Moccasins took advantage of another pair of walks in the third as Omar Villaman and Logan Browning were issued free passes with both scoring on a double off the bat of Marze, who would later score on a single by Brown.
- Florida Southern starter Thomas Spinelli (3-0) retired the first 10 batters he faced in order before surrendering a one-out homer to Chase Achuff in the fourth.
- Another base on balls by Eckerd starter Nick Alonzo (3-2) led to another Moccasin run as Burgess drew a lead-off walk in the fourth and later scored on an infield groundout by Austin Mauer.
- Villaman singled to drive in the Moccasins' eighth run in the sixth for an 8-1 lead.
- Florida Southern added a solo run in the bottom of the seventh as Browning led off with a double and later scored on a passed ball.
- Eckerd then touched reliever Matt Martin for a solo run in the top of the eighth, but the Moccasins responded with a solo run in the eighth as pinch-hitter Ryan Frost led off with a single, moved to second on a walk by pinch-hitter Austin Huber and scored on a double by Tommy Georgevich.
HOW IT HAPPENED - GAME TWO
- Florida Southern broke a scoreless tie in the third as Burgess doubled and scored on a single by Mauer.
- It was Burgess getting involved again in the fifth, getting hit by a pitch to begin the inning. Pablo Cabrera then homered to left field for a 3-0 Moccasin lead.
- Eckerd tallied a solo run in the sixth off Moccasin starter J.J. Niekro, but Burgess got the score back leading off the second on a walk and moving to second on a passed ball. He would later score on a sacrifice fly by Mauer.
- The Tritons then rallied for four runs on five hits off FSC reliever J.T. Hintzen to grab a 5-4 lead in the top of the eighth.
- Browning tied the game in the bottom of the eighth with a lead-off homer off the scoreboard.
- After Moccasin closer Leo Rodriguez (1-0) tossed a scoreless ninth, Burgess ended the game with his second homer of the day on the first pitch he faced to lead off the ninth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern has now played Eckerd 181 times with Florida Southern enjoying a huge 144-37 margin in the series, including a 70-14 margin in games played in Lakeland. The Mocs are 56-5 against the Tritons at Henley Field and have a 23-9 mark at Joker Marchant Stadium. FSC has now won 12 straight versus Eckerd.
- Burgess' four runs in game two gave him six runs scored on the day as he crossed the plate twice in the opener. His walk-off homer in game two comes one month to the day when he last won a game on a walk-off homer (Feb. 17 vs. Lee).
- Florida Southern hit six home runs in the three-game series vs. Eckerd. The Moccasins have now hit 37 homers on the season.
- Florida Southern returns to action on Wednesday night in a non-conference game at Henley Field against #6 Flagler College in a rematch of a game won by the Moccasins, 2-1, in St. Augustine last week. The Moccasins will then host Lynn in a three-game conference series on March 23-24. The 1988 Moccasin team will be recognized on Friday night in celebration of the team's 30th anniversary of winning an NCAA Division II national championship.