LAKELAND - Hayden Marze hit his second grand slam of the season and finished with six runs batted in while Logan Browning struck out eight over 6.0 innings as #3 Florida Southern opened a three-game Sunshine State Conference series with a 21-2 win over visiting Eckerd College here Friday at Henley Field.
Ten different Moccasins collected at least one base hit in the contest as Florida Southern out-hit Eckerd 18-8 to improve to 19-2-1 overall and 4-1 in the SSC while the Tritons drop to 10-11 and 3-7 in the league.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern scored four unearned runs in the first inning as Austin Mauer reached on a two-out error followed by an RBI-triple off the bat of Omar Villaman. Marze then reached on a single while Christian Maglich followed with his second home run of the season for a quick 4-0 lead.
- The Moccasins added another unearned run in the second inning as Vaun Brown doubled and later scored on an infield error.
- Meanwhile, Browning gave up just one hit through the first three innings while striking out four before Chase Achuff doubled to open the fourth inning and the scored on a single by Mitch Calandra.
- Florida Southen then sent 10 men to the plate in a six-run fourth inning. Cody Burgess and Pablo Cabrera had back-to-back singles to get the ball rolling with Burgess scoring on a sacrifice fly by Mauer. One out later, Marze walked while Maglich singled to plate Cabrera. After a walk by Jacob Teter, Brown singled in Marze while Dylan Costa had an RBI-single to drive in Teter. Brown capped the big inning scoring on a wild pitch.
- In the fifth, the Moccasins scored three more runs on a double by Cabrera and an RBI-single by Villaman. Two outs later, Teter singled in a pair of runs for a 14-1 Florida Southern lead.
- After Eckerd scored a single run in the top of the sixth, Costa led off the bottom of the frame with a single to center field. Moccasin head coach Lance Niekro then went to his bench, sending in four straight pinch-hitters. Ryan Frost singled, Austin Huber walked, and Ricky Gonzalez walked to load the bases. Marze then followed with his second grand slam and the seventh homer of the season for a 19-2 margin.
- Florida Southern capped the scoring with two runs in the eighth as Huber walked and scored when Marze was hit by a pitch and Tommy Georgevich singled and scored on a sacrifice fly by Teter.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Eckerd is the Moccasins second oldest rivalry as the two clubs have now met 179 times with Florida Southern enjoying a huge 142-37 margin in the series, including a 77-14 margin in games played in Lakeland. The Mocs are 54-5 against the Tritons at Henley Field and have a 23-9 mark at Joker Marchant Stadium. FSC has now won ten straight versus Eckerd.
- Tonight was Browning's 38th career start, tying him with Brent Wagler for 10th place on the FSC all-time career list. His eight strikeouts give him 215 for his career, moving him into 20th place for Moccasin pitchers.
- Alex Kennell tossed two innings of one-hit ball in relief for Florida Southern while Logan Verrino, making his second appearance since being called up from the junior varsity squad, struck out three in the ninth inning.
- The 21 runs scored matches a season-high as the Moccasins also put up 21 runs in a 21-7 victory on March 3 over Cedarville.
- Marze finished with three hits while Burgess, Cabrera, Villaman, Maglich, Brown, and Costa each had two hits. Maglich and Teter both drove in three runs while Mauer and Villaman each plated a pair of runs.
- Florida Southern and Eckerd wrap up their three-game series with a 1 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday.