LAKELAND - Freshman Jacob Teter doubled twice and homered twice in his four at-bats to drive in eight runs as Florida Southern crushed Cedarville, 21-7, here Saturday at Henley Field. The eight runs batted in is one shy of tying the school record of nine set by Fernando Arguelles against the College of Boca Raton on Feb. 21, 1987.
The win brings the Moccasins record to 16-1 on the season which is the best start for the Mocs since the 2010 squad also began the season 16-1. Cedarville sees its three-game win streak snapped and its record drop to 3-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Cedarville scored once in the top of the first, the Moccasins sent 13 men to the plate in the bottom of the frame for seven runs, the big blow being a three-run double by Teter. Cody Burgess, Omar Villaman, and Vaun Brown each singled in the frame as the FSC barrage was helped by a pair of walks and two hit batsmen.
- Teter later delivered his first homer of the game with Logan Browning aboard with a walk in the second inning for a 9-1 lead.
- Burgess, Pablo Cabrera, and Austin Mauer hit consecutive singles to lead off the third for another Moccasin run, making the score, 10-1.
- Florida Southern then batted around once again in the fourth with another 13 batters going to the plate. Teter led off the frame with his second homer of the game and the sixth of the season, tying him with Hayden Marze for the team lead. Wildness by two different Cedarville pitchers led to six of the next seven batters reaching base with two Mocs being hit by a pitch and four others drawing a walk. With two outs, Teter cracked his second double of the night for two more Moccasins runs, before eventually scoring himself on a single by Dylan Costa to put the Moccasins ahead 18-1.
- The Yellow Jackets made the game a bit more interesting with a three-run homer by Matt Biermann in the top of the fifth to cut the FSC lead to 18-4.
- Florida Southern got one run back in the bottom of the fifth on a solo homer by pinch-hitter Ricky Gonzalez who sent the first pitch he saw over the left field fence for a 19-4 margin.
- Cedarville answered with a solo homer by Ross Melchoir in the sixth and added two runs in the seventh to close out the Yellow Jacket scoring at 19-7.
- The Moccasins finished with two more runs in the bottom of the eighth on a single by Costa and an RBI-double from Austin Huber along with a sacrifice fly by Gonzalez to score Ryan Frost who had walked for the final 21-7 tally.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- This was the first meeting between Florida Southern and Cedarville.
- Starter Matt Martin (2-1) got the win for the Moccasins, working 5.0 innings and striking out six.
- Burgess finished with three hits on the night while Mauer and Costa each had two hits. Eleven different Moccasins collected at least one base hit in the game and 11 different Moccasins scored at least one run.
- The 21 runs scored is a season-high and is the most scored since a 25-7 win over Claflin on Feb. 18 of last season. The 18 hits are second only to the 21 amassed in a 19-7 win at Barry on Feb. 24.
- Florida Southern will play their next three games on the road, playing at Mount Olive in North Carolina on Monday, March 4 at 4 pm and Tuesday, March 5 at 1 p.m. before closing out the road trip with a game at North Greenville in Tigerville, SC on Wednesday, March 6 at 3 p.m.