LAKELAND, FL - Senior All-American Logan Browning allowed just three hits and struck out seven in 7.0 shutout innings to lead Florida Southern to a 7-2 win over Lee, earning head coach Lance Niekro his 150th career win with the Moccasins. Niekro is now 150-104 in five-plus seasons at the helm of the FSC program.
Browning improves to 2-0 on the season as the Moccasins remain undefeated at 8-0 on the year. Lee drops to 3-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first inning, Florida Southern got singles from Vaun Brown, Dylan Costa, Cody Burgess and Austin Mauer for three runs in the second frame. Costa drove in one run with his base hit while Mauer plated a pair with his.
- It was back to the long ball in the third as Jacob Teter singled to lead off the inning while Brown followed with his second homer of the season, this one going over the left-center field fence as the Moccasins took a 5-0 lead. The Moccasins added a third run in the inning as Costa single, moved up to second on a walk, and scored from there on a wild pitch.
- Florida Southern's final run came in the seventh as Hayden Marze crushed his fifth homer of the season to left center for a 7-0 lead.
- Lee got to the Moccasin bullpen as the Flames scored once in the eighth on two base hits added a solo homer in the ninth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- This was the first time Florida Southern and Lee have met on the baseball diamond.
- Florida Southern's 8-0 start is the best since the 2011 team started the season 11-0.
- The home runs by Brown and Marze give Florida Southern 16 on the season. The Moccasins have now hit at least one home run in each of the last 18 games and gone yard in 25 of the last 26 contests.
- Costa and Marze both extended their individual hit streaks to seven games on the season.
- The same two teams will play a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m. at Henley Field to wrap up their three-game series.
- Florida Southern will play the Detroit Tigers on Thursday, Feb. 22 at Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium in the two clubs annual Spring Training match-up.