GREENWOOD, SC - Jake Walsh struck out 10 batters and scattered three hits in 6.0 innings of work while Jason Sierra, Cody Burgess, and Pablo Cabrera all hit home runs as Florida Southern defeated Lander 13-2 here Saturday at Dolney Stadium, completing a three-game sweep of the home-standing Bearcats.
Sierra's home run was a three-run shot in the first inning while Burgess hit a grand slam in the third, the second bases-loaded homer for a Moccasin in the series. Cabrera ended FSC's scoring with a solo round-tripper in the ninth inning.
With the win, the 15th-ranked Moccasins improve to 29-8 on the season while the Bearcats drop to 18-24.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern sent ten men to the plate in the first inning, scoring four runs on five hits off Lander starter. J.D. Waite. Cabrera started the parade by drawing a one-out walk and Austin Mauer singled. Omar Villaman then singled to drive in Cabrera while Sierra clubbed a three-run homer to left center for a quick 4-0 lead. The shot was the senior first baseman's eighth of the season and 19th of his career. Logan Browning and Christian Maglich also singled in the first.
- After going down in order in the second, the Moccasins got back into the scoring mode with a big third inning. Sierra and Mitch Reeves led off the frame with back-to-back singles while Browning doubled to drive in Sierra. An out later, Vaun Brown was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Burgess then unloaded the bases with a grand slam over the left center field wall for a 9-0 Moccasin lead. The homer was Burgess' ninth of the season and Florida Southern's second grand slam of the weekend as Reeves hit one the Moccasins 9-2 win in game one on Friday.
- Carson Jones put an end to the Moccasins' shutout bid by leading off the fourth inning with a home run to center field off Moccasin starter Jake Walsh.
- The Moccasins tacked on a pair of runs in the sixth inning as Sierra drew a one-out walk and Reeves doubled. Browning then drove in Sierra with a double to right field and Maglich plated Reeves with a single to center field to put Florida Southern ahead 11-1.
- After the Bearcats scored a solo run in the seventh, Florida Southern capped the scoring with a pair of runs in the ninth on a triple by Brown, a RBI-ground out by Burgess, and a solo home run by Cabrera, his third of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Walsh gets the win with 6.0 innings of work and improves to 9-1 while lowering his earned run average to 1.77 on the season.
- Craig Savage worked the seventh inning for the Mocs, allowing one run on one hit while A.J. Smith and Walker Burgess each tossed a scoreless inning with Burgess recording a pair of strikeouts.
- With his grand slam in the third inning, Burgess extended his streak of reaching base to 37 straight games. He has now reached base in every game the Mocs have played in 2017.
- The home runs by Sierra, Burgess, and Cabrera give Florida Southern 53 round-trippers on the season, just five shy of the 58 homers hit last season in 49 games.
- Browning finished with four hits on the day – a double and three singles – marking the 14th time this season a Moccasin batter has collected four hits in a game.
- Sierra, Reeves, Maglich, and Brown each had two hits.
- FSC hit a home run in the top of the ninth in each of the three games in the series.
- The Moccasins improve to 17-3 on the road this season.
- Florida Southern returns to Lakeland and to Sunshine State Conference play on April 21-22, hosting the University of Tampa at Henley Field. Game one of the series is Friday at 6 p.m. with Saturday 1 p.m. doubleheader to follow.