LAKELAND - Mitch Reeves and Omar Villaman both homered to back an eight strikeout performance by Logan Browning as No. 22 Florida Southern downed Eckerd, 6-2, here Friday in the opening game of a three-game Sunshine State Conference series. The win, the Moccasins' 11th in a row, leaves the team with a 19-6 overall record and a 4-3 mark in the SSC while Eckerd drops to 12-15 overall and 4-6 in the league.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Eckerd took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first, combining a single with two Florida Southern errors for an unearned run.
- Browning then allowed just one more hit over the next six innings while striking out eight batters in 7.0 frames of work. The junior lefty finished the game by allowing one baserunner (on a walk) in his last 15 batters to raise his record to 5-1.
- Reeves put the Moccasins ahead 2-1 with a two-run home run in the bottom of the first with Cody Burgess on board with a single. It was his team-leading ninth homer of the season and the 20th of his career.
- Reeves also scored Florida Southern's third run in the third. After leading off the frame with a single, he would later score as Villaman and Austin Mauer hit back-to-back singles.
- The Moccasins plated their final three runs in the fourth inning as Villaman cracked a three-run homer, scoring Pablo Cabera and Reeves. The round-tripper was Villaman's second of the season.
- After FSC reliever Tyler Knowles, tossed a 1-2-3 eighth inning, Eckerd pushed across one run in the top of the ninth and, with two outs, loaded the bases off reliever Mitch McCarthy. Cameron Hanes came on in relief to get Reid Zitzelburg looking at strike three to pick up his sixth save on the year.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern now leads the all-time series between the two schools by a 138-37 margin with wins in each of the last six games versus the Tritons. The Moccasins hold a 74-14 advantage in games played in Lakeland.
- Jason Sierra was held hitless in two at bats, snapping his 13-game hit streak in which he was 15-for-45. The senior first baseman did reach base in three other plate appearances in the game, getting hit by a pitch twice and walking once.
- Reeves scored three runs for the Moccasins. His first-inning homer extended his hitting streak to nine games in which he is 15-for-24.
- Villaman had three hits on the night while Burgess, Reeves, and Mauer each had two hits.
- Browning now has 42 strikeouts in his last 26.0 innings pitched over four starts.
- Florida Southern and Eckerd conclude their three-game SSC series with a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m. at Henley Field.