MELBOURNE - Logan Browning, J.T. Hintzen, and Cameron Hanes combined to strike out 16 batters as the Moccasins shutout Florida Tech, 3-0, here Friday at Andy Seminick/Les Hall Field in Sunshine State Conference baseball action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Pablo Cabrera scored the game's first run, singling with one out and later scoring on a single to center by Jason Sierra.
- Christian Maglich gave the Moccasins a 2-0 lead in the second with a two-out homer to right-center field. The shot was Maglich's third of the season.
- The Moccasins' final run came in the ninth as Austin Mauer was hit by a pitch. One out later, Maglich was also struck by a pitch and both runners advanced on a infield ground out. With runners on second and third, Florida Tech went to intentionally walk Cody Burgess to load the bases, but the pitch by Panther pitcher Justin Barney was wild, allowing Mauer to score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improves to 12-6 on the season and 1-3 in the SSC while Florida Tech drops to 13-6 over and 0-1 in the league. The win is the Moccasins' fourth in a row.
- The Moccasins run their series record against Florida Tech to 97-30 overall and 40-19 in games played in Melbourne. Tonight's win was FSC's fifth in a row in the series.
- Browning, the Sunshine State Conference Pitcher of the Week, worked 6.0 innings and scattered five hits while striking out 10 batters. The junior lefty has recorded 21 strikeouts in 12.0 innings over his last two starts. With his win, he improves to 3-1 on the season.
- Hintzen worked the seventh and eighth innings and struck out three in his two no-hit innings.
- Hanes struck out the side in the ninth to pick up his fourth save of the season.
- Mitch Reeves, Mauer, and Maglich, each had two hits for Florida Southern which out hit Florida Tech, 10-5. The 10 hits marks the sixth time in the last seven games in which the team has reached double digits in hits.
- Sierra singled in the first inning to run his hit streak to seven games.
- Cody Burgess singled in the second inning and has hits in 15 of the 18 Moccasins games this season.
- The Moccasins and Panthers will conclude their three-game SSC series with a 1 p.m. doubleheader Saturday at Andy Seminick/Les Hall Field on the Florida Tech campus.