LAKELAND - Vaun Brown singled with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth to lift Florida Southern to a 2-1 win over Minnesota State here Friday at Henley Field. Ryan Frost, who drew a walk to lead off the ninth, scored the winning run for Florida Southern which improves to 9-6 on the year while Minnesota State falls to 2-1.
On the mound, a trio of Moccasin pitchers combined to tie a Florida Southern record with 19 strikeouts while holding the Mavericks to just three hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Minnesota State wasted no time getting on the board as Eric Peterson homered to lead off the game off Moccasin starter Logan Browning.
- Browning settled and struck out the next five batters in order and allowed just one single over the next five innings. The junior lefty worked 6.0 innings and struck out a career-high 11 batters.
- Craig Savage followed Browning on the hill for Florida Southern, striking out four batters in 1.1 scoreless innings while allowing just one hit.
- Cameron Hanes picked up the win with 1.2 shutout innings and also struck out four while not surrendering a hit.
- The Moccasins' first run came in the second inning as Jason Sierra drew a walk to lead off the frame and moved to second on a single by Austin Mauer. Christian Maglich followed with a double to the right field corner to plate Sierra with the game-tying run.
- On the other side of the diamond, four Maverick pitchers totalled 13 strikeouts as the two staffs combined for 32 strikeouts in the game. Minnesota State starter, Brody Rodning worked 5.0 innings and struck out seven while holding FSC to a pair of hits. He was followed by Nick Belzer who struck out six in his 3.0 innings of work.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 3-1 versus Minnesota State.
- The 19 strikeouts by Browning, Savage, and Hanes ties a Moccasin record last set in 1997 against Lynn in a 14-inning game. David Harris accomplished the feat by himself on March 9, 1994 vs. Assumption while the 1992 Moccasins whiffed 19 in a game on March 25, 1992 vs. Saint Leo.
- Florida Southern plays on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Henley Field against West Virgina Wesleyan.