Feb 28, 2017
LAKELAND - Flagler College scored four runs in each of the first two innings and went on to hand Florida Southern College a 9-4 defeat here Tuesday at Henley Field in non-conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Flagler (13-3) scored four runs on four hits in the first inning off Florida Southern starter, Chase Pilato (1-1) and matched its total with another four runs on four hits in the second inning.
- Florida Southern (8-6) got on the board in the bottom of the fifth as Kevin Fuller singled to lead off the inning with the first of his three hits of the game. The senior then stole second and later scored on a throwing error on the Flagler third baseman after a Cody Burgess single.
- The Saints added a solo run in the top of the top of the sixth on a pair of base hits.
- The Moccasins got two runs in the bottom of the eighth as Mitch Reeves homered with Cody Burgess aboard.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Despite the loss, Florida Southern still leads the overall series with Flagler by an 18-10 margin.
- Fuller had three hits and scored twice while Burgess, Reeves, and Jason Sierra each had two hits.
- The homer by Reeves was his team-leading sixth of the season and 18th of his career.
- The Reeves' round-tripper gives Florida Southern at least one homer in each of the last seven games with 19 home runs in that span.
- Moccasin relievers J.T. Hintzen, Tyler Knowles, Craig Savage and Cameron Hanes combined to hold Flagler to one run with nine strikeouts over 7.0 innings pitched.
- Florida Southern plays its next two games at home, entertaining Minnesota State Mankato on Friday at 6 p.m. and West Virginia Wesleyan on Sunday at 1 p.m.