BOCA RATON, FL - Lynn University used a pair of four-run innings to overcome a 3-0 deficit and down the Moccasins 10-6 in game two of a Saturday doubleheader to complete a three-game Sunshine State Conference opening series over 16th-ranked Florida Southern here at the Lynn Baseball Field.
Florida Southern falls to 8-5 overall 0-3 in the league, while Lynn improves to 10-4 and 3-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern grabbed a 3-0 lead in the second as Logan Browning singled and scored on an Austin Mauer double. One out later, Kevin Fuller hit his second homer of the season over the right field fence.
- Lynn countered with a four-run third inning off Moccasin starter A.J. Smith. With one out Willie Seay reached on an error and scored on a single by Patrick Dorrian. Miguel Ceballos and Jarren Pinkney followed with back-to-back homers to put the Knights ahead, 4-3.
- In the fifth, Dorrian singled up the middle to chase Smith. Craig Savage came on in relief and after retiring two batters, allowed a RBI-double to Tyler Curtis.
- Florida Southern got one run back in the sixth as Mitch Reeves led off the frame with his team-lead tying fifth homer of the season over the left field wall. The Mocs loaded the bases with one out in the inning on singles by Jason Sierra and Austin Mauer and a walk by Evan Barnes, but couldn't capitalize, leaving all three stranded.
- The Knights responded with a one-out solo homer by Jake Rouse in the sixth. Lynn then put up four runs in the bottom of the seventh on three hits.
- The Moccasins scored their final two runs in the eighth inning on singles by Browning, Barnes, and Vaun Brown for the final 10-6 margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Cody Burgess had three hits for the Moccasins while Browning and Mauer each had two base hits.
- Florida Southern homered twice in the first game of today's doubleheader and added two more homers in this game. The Moccasins have had at least two homers in each of the last six games for a total of 16 round-trippers over that span of games.
- The Moccasins head back to Lakeland on Tuesday to face Flagler at 6 p.m. at Henley Field. FSC is also at home on Friday at 6 p.m. against Minnesota State Mankato and Sunday at 1 p.m. against West Virginia Weslayan.