BOCA RATON, FL - Lynn University totaled 15 hits, including four home runs, to hand 16th-ranked Florida Southern a 14-5 defeat in the first game of a Sunshine State Conference doubleheader here Saturday at the Lynn Baseball Field. The Moccasins fall to 8-4 overall and 0-2 in the SSC while Lynn improves to 9-4 and 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lynn took a 1-0 lead with an unearned run in the second inning.
- Florida Southern got on the scoreboard in the third as Vaun Brown homered with one out while Cody Burgess singled and scored on a single by Mitch Reeves.
- Lynn sent 11 men to the plate in a six-run bottom of the fourth, although only two were earned off FSC starter Jake Walsh. The big blow came off the bat of Patrick Dorrian who homered with two men on. Miguel followed in the next at bat with a solo shot of his own for a 7-2 Knights' lead.
- The Knights added one run in the fifth on a homer by Jake Rouse and two more runs in the eighth on RBI-singles by Gabe Martinez and Jonathan Corbitt for a 10-2 lead.
- The Moccasins got one run back in the top of the seventh as Burgess led off with his team-leading fifth homer of the season to make the score 10-3.
- Lynn batted around again in the seventh off three Moccasin hurlers, scoring four more runs on four hits, including a two-run homer by Willie Seay.
- Florida Southern pushed across a pair of runs in the ninth as Brown singled to lead off the frame and Cody Burgess reached on an error with both scoring on a single by Mitch Reeves, his third hit and second and third RBI of the game. The Moccasins loaded the bases with two outs, but couldn't extend the rally.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern leads the overall series with Lynn, 54-32, including a 21-15 advantage in games played in Boca Raton, but the Knights have won the last seven meetings.
- Burgess scored three of the Moccasins while Brown accounted for the other two tallies.
- Junior J.P. DeBoyer, who last pitched pitched the final two innings for the Moccasins, holding the Knights hitless and did not allow a run with a pair of strikeouts and two walks.
- The two clubs combined to strand 24 runners with the Moccasins leaving 11 men on base.
- The Moccasins and Knight wrap up their three-game series with a second game this afternoon.
- Florida Southern returns to Lakeland on Tuesday, Feb. 28 to face Flagler College at 6 p.m. at Henley Field. The Moccasins are also at home on Friday, March 3, at 6 p.m. against Minnesota State Mankato and Sunday, March 5 to face West Virginia Wesleyan at 1 p.m.