LAKELAND - The Detroit Tigers used a pair three-run innings to post an 8-0 exhibition baseball win over Florida Southern in the two teams' annual Spring Training clash here at Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Moccasin starter Walker Burgess retired the Tigers in order in the bottom of the first, getting Ian Kinsler to fly out and Victor Martinez to ground out before enticing Miguel Cabrera to pop up to short.
- Florida Southern had its best chance in the top of the second when Jason Sierra drew a lead-off walk and moved to second on a wild pitch by Detroit starter, Myles Jaye. Logan Browning then grounded out, sending Sierra to third base, but the Mocs could not push across the run.
- In the bottom of the second, Detroit plated three runs on a two-run single by James McCann and a RBI-double by Mikie Mahtook.
- In the third, J.J. Niekro took over on the hill for Florida Southern and allowed a lead-off double to Omar Infante. Following a ground out by Cabrera, Steven Moya singled in Infante for a 4-0 Detroit lead. Niekro then got Jason Krizan on a called third strike before getting Brandon Romine to ground out to end the inning.
- Niekro would also work the fourth and fifth innings, finishing with 3.0 innings pitched and one run allowed with a strikeout and four hits surrendered.
- The Tigers put up another three spot in the bottom of the sixth off reliever Canyon McWilliams, making his first appearance of the season.
- Trevor Castell tossed the final 2-1/3 innings, holding the Tigers to one unearned run on one hit.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Omar Villaman had a pair of singles for Florida Southern while Christian Maglich added a double. Sierra and Pablo Cabrera accounted for the other two of the five Moccasin base hits.
- Florida Southern opens Sunshine State Conference play Friday at Lynn University with a 2:30 p.m. game in Boca Raton. The two clubs play a doubleheader on Saturday at 11 a.m.