ORANGEBURG, SC – Cody Burgess slammed three home runs and Mitch Reeves hit two out as 20th-ranked Florida Southern cruised past Claflin by a 17-1 score here at Mirmow Field in the opening game of a three-game weekend series. Logan Browning got the win for the Mocs, striking out eight in 5.0 innings of work.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning on a 3-run homer by Reeves and never looked back. It was Reeves' first round-tripper of the season.
- Burgess gave the Moccasins a 5-0 lead in the second inning with the first of his three homers on the day, a two-run shot with Pablo Cabrera aboard.
- Claflin got on the board in the bottom of the second on a infield ground out.
- Reeves led off the top of the three with his second dinger of the day. Kevin Fuller and Vaun Brown followed with RBIs to increase the Florida Southern lead to 8-1.
- The Moccasins added a pair of runs in the fourth on a RBI-single by Christian Maglich and a bases-loaded walk by Fuller for a 10-1 lead.
- Burgess hit his second homer run in the top of the fifth inning, a solo shot, while Austin Mauer drive in the Mocs' 11th run with an infield ground out and a 12-1 FSC margin.
- Burgess capped his day with a three-run blast in the sixth, giving him four hits and six RBI on the day as the Mocs took a 15-1 lead.
- The Moccasins capped the scoring in the ninth with a pair of unearned runs for the final 17-1 score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improves to 6-2 on the season while Claflin falls to 1-8.
- The Moccasins take a 10-0 lead in the series between the two clubs.
- The 17 runs scored is a season-high for the Mocs and is the most scored since April 17 of last season when FSC downed South Carolina-Aiken 1-9.
- The 16-run margin of victory was the most since Feb. 13, 2016 when Florida Southern defeated Claflin, 17-0, at Henley Field.
- Burgess is the first Moccasin to hit three homers in a game since Nick Stanley had three homers against Nova Southeastern on May 7, 2009.
- Burgess finished 4-for-5 on the day with four runs scored and six RBI, the most runs batted in for any Moccasins this season and the most since Kevin Fuller also drive in six runs on April 17, 2016 against USC-Aiken.
- Reeves went 3-for-3 with three runs scored and three RBI. Omar Villaman, Jason Sierra, Maglich, Fuller, and Cabrera each had two hits.
- Tyler Knowles and Alex Kennell each tossed a scoreless inning in relief for Florida Southern while Walker Burgess closed the game with two shutout innings of no-hit ball.
- Florida Southern and Claflin continue their three-game series with a 1 p.m. game Saturday at Claflin and wrap up the series on Sunday, also at 1 p.m.